Highlighted

Acrobat X Crashing upon Opening

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Adobe Master Collection CS6 when I built my PC in 2013.  I seldom use Acrobat Pro but when I need it, it needs to function.  It has been working fine up until a week ago when upon opening, it immediately crashes.  I disabled automatic updates a long time ago, however, I am now receiving acrobat update notifications to install the newest version.  I searched for the root cause online for the sudden crashing and all indications are that my version of Acrobat X is unsupported so Adobe is requiring an install of the latest version.  There is no reason that my old version is not supported on my PC, nothing has changed since 2013 (except for windows security patches).  I am still running windows 7 as I was when I purchased the software.  I need my old version to work.  I won't pay for a new version just to use it occasionally.

Please don't tell me I won't have issues if I update.  I already know what will happen, I will be required to purchase a license before I can use the new version.  I know this because it happened on my work laptop provided by my employer and to several other employee PCs.  Adobe informed the IT dept it was due to licensing issues with the old version.  My employer is a top 10 fortune 500 and global 500 company that is highly regulated so there is no piracy shenanigans happening there.   My employer purchased new licenses for their equipment to resolve the problem.  I purchased my personal version of Adobe Master Collection CS6 through that employer so they are not going to pay for my license.  Can someone tell me how to fix the crashing issue without updating to a new version?

PC Specs

Windows 7 Pro

Intel I7 4790K

32GB Ram

(2) 500GB SSD 

(1) 1TB HD

(1) 500GB HD

EVGA GTX 760

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat X Crashing upon Opening

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Adobe Master Collection CS6 when I built my PC in 2013.  I seldom use Acrobat Pro but when I need it, it needs to function.  It has been working fine up until a week ago when upon opening, it immediately crashes.  I disabled automatic updates a long time ago, however, I am now receiving acrobat update notifications to install the newest version.  I searched for the root cause online for the sudden crashing and all indications are that my version of Acrobat X is unsupported so Adobe is requiring an install of the latest version.  There is no reason that my old version is not supported on my PC, nothing has changed since 2013 (except for windows security patches).  I am still running windows 7 as I was when I purchased the software.  I need my old version to work.  I won't pay for a new version just to use it occasionally.

Please don't tell me I won't have issues if I update.  I already know what will happen, I will be required to purchase a license before I can use the new version.  I know this because it happened on my work laptop provided by my employer and to several other employee PCs.  Adobe informed the IT dept it was due to licensing issues with the old version.  My employer is a top 10 fortune 500 and global 500 company that is highly regulated so there is no piracy shenanigans happening there.   My employer purchased new licenses for their equipment to resolve the problem.  I purchased my personal version of Adobe Master Collection CS6 through that employer so they are not going to pay for my license.  Can someone tell me how to fix the crashing issue without updating to a new version?

PC Specs

Windows 7 Pro

Intel I7 4790K

32GB Ram

(2) 500GB SSD 

(1) 1TB HD

(1) 500GB HD

EVGA GTX 760

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HBRipley,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble caused. As described, Te Adobe Acrobat X is now crashing on Win 7

As mentioned you are getting the notifications that the version of Acrobat X that you are using is not supported. Please try to update the version to 10.1.16 that we released on 13th Oct 2015. Go to Help > Check for Updates. You may also download the patch using the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/index.html

Also, Adobe Acrobat X is an old and EOL application. End of Support means that Adobe no longer provides technical support or distributes runtimes. This policy affects product and security updates for all derivatives of a product or product version.

Adobe strongly recommends that customers update to the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat DC. By updating installations to the latest versions, customers benefit from the latest functional enhancements and improved security measures. Please look at the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-x-reader-x.html for more information.

Hope It will help

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
HBRipley LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I revert back to my original version if 10.1.16 has issues?   I'm sure Adobe's recommendation to users is to update to the latest version.  For customers that use the software frequently then it makes sense but I cannot justify paying $14.99/mo for  software that I already own, paid approximately $2000 for 7 years ago (as part of a software suite) and that I maybe use 2-3 times per month.  We have a difference of opinion, I believe cloud based software inherently has more risk.  With my current software, I don't ever need an internet connection to use it.  The same cannot be said with cloud based software.  I rather risk multiple hard drive failure (local backups included) and have to reimage a pc than to store my work on a cloud server that has the potential of being hacked.  I appreciate the information and your time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0