• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro keep quitting unexpectedly!

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Not sure why, since i back from work today (13 Jan 20), the Adobe acrobat doesnt work. It was still OK on the (10 Jan 20) last day i used it. And now it keep on quitting when i open my files within 10 seconds or do some comment on it, it close unexpectedly. Can somebody help? What's going on? I need to work with it for my files to clients desperately. Please send help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X is a version that is no longer supported in 2015.
The current usage environment is unknown, but there is no guarantee that it will work properly in an environment that is not guaranteed to work.
It is assumed that there is a risk even if it moves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did Adobe push a bug out that causes Acrobat X Pro to stop working?

It is not working on my desktop. When I opened my laptop I

immediately disconnected my wifi and Acrobat X Pro still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software is only guaranteed to work when it is supported from release.
In addition, if the OS is not guaranteed to work, it is normal that the OS will not work properly due to changes on the OS side.
Either way, there is risk to the use itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The greater risk it would seem would be continuing to use Adobe products when the company is engaged in predatory prctices like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends. If you refuse to upgrade vulnerable software you are risking your computer being taken over, and your identity and money stolen. Maybe that isn't something that troubles you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

35 years in IT.  18 as an IT manager. 

Hey kid?  Adobe is now malware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Software is only guaranteed to work when it is supported from release."

This is both nonsense and an evasion from the cause of this problem.  

The application in question was sold with a perpetual license.  Meaning it should work in purpuity on a supported platform, not simply until Adobe decided to stop supporting it and turns off server-side checks to artifically stop it's functioning.  That doesn't mean Adobe is responsible for fixing bugs in purpuity, and you can make an argument that unsupported software could be vunerably for exploitation, but that's a decision for the user to make, not Adobe.  If Adobe is going to make that decision and forcably disable software for which people purchased a perpetual license, they should refund the cost or grant the user a license to a newer version.  

The casue of this problem is circumvented by a firewall setting to prevent Acrobat from "phoning home" so it doesn't get the signal to not open.  

It's because of shenanigans like these that I refuse to purchase any more Adobe products.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... for Acrobat X the original version (10.0.0) stopped working recently for many people. But almost everyone found that putting on Adobe's free fixes, made it work again. That's a pretty strange way to "forcably disable software". I prefer to think that Adobe discovered a bug which they realised would cause it to crash in the future, and quietly fixed it. Only those who recklessly neglected their updates would ever know. You may prefer a different theory.

"If Adobe is going to make that decision and forcably disable software for which people purchased a perpetual license, they should refund the cost or grant the user a license to a newer version.  " I have some sympathy for your view on this, though as I say I DON'T agree this was the target for Acrobat X. And they HAVE done this for some other software (including Acrobat 7 and 8), and for many services. However, Adobe don't seem to agree with this view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"But almost everyone found that putting on Adobe's free fixes, made it work again."

I believe something different happened this time, as I kept Adobe's fix/patch with my CS6 install files, but it no longer works.  Same install files, same patch I've been using for years all of the suddon stops working.  Disabling Acrobat's outbound traffic fixes it, so it's clearly an issue of Acrobat checking something on Adobe's end that's no longer responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the single most intelligent comment posted in this thread.  Many Adobe products have become nothing more than expensive malware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting this tip—it worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I do believe Adobe is trying to force ones hand. Even though the person who responded to the OP ignorantly states Adobe X is no longer supported, he should know this happens to the users of DC working in the cloud as well. The fact that disconnecting the inet connection is a work around tells you almost everything you need to know... (checking you outbound network traffic tells you the rest). The rest is... its not a bug; it's a response to when Acrobat calls home to Adobe. com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now April 17, 2020 and I've started to experience this problem, too. It was working perfectly fine until April 13. My laptop run Win 10.
Our company hasn't pushed us to XI yet. Is there any sort of workaround besides disconnecting from wifi? I've been working with our support team for two days. They're trying to re-install the software but that doesn't seem to work, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sgraf01,
I did find out this a while back. Does that help?
AndyB#1
One further development. Turn wi fi off then start Adobe Acrobat Pro. Wait a minute or two then turn wi fi back on. Adobe Acrobat Pro will then continue to work until you close it.

AndyB#1 https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/17256381 Jan 12, 2020 11:59 PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I disconnected from wifi Acrobat X Pro works. Acrobat X Pro does not work when wifi on.

Switched to Eithernet cables with the same result. Eithernet plugged in, Acrobat X Pro dosn't work. Eithernet cables unplugged, Acrobat X Pro works.

Decided to download Acrobat Reader so I could at least read Pdfs.

Adobe site automatically downloads Acrobat Reader DC as a trail version when I clicked on download for Acrobat reader.

Installed trail version of Acrobat Reader DC and now Acrobat X Pro works even when connected to the internet. It remains to be seen if Acrobat X Pro will continue to work after the trail version of Acrobat Reader DC expires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! Mine has been doing the same thing!  But when I disconnected from the wifi it worked!  Guess I'll deal with it for now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help Angle2073,

A further update on Acrobat X Pro. I stated in my previous message:

"Decided to download Acrobat Reader so I could at least read Pdfs.

Adobe site automatically downloads Acrobat Reader DC as a trail version when I clicked on download for Acrobat reader.

Installed trail version of Acrobat Reader DC and now Acrobat X Pro works even when connected to the internet. It remains to be seen if Acrobat X Pro will continue to work after the trail version of Acrobat Reader DC expires."

Acrobat X Pro crashes again when hooked to the internet. The fix with downloading Acrobat Reader was only temporary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One further development. Turn wi fi off then start Adobe Acrobat Pro. Wait a minute or two then turn wi fi back on. Adobe Acrobat Pro will then continue to work until you close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem on Windows 10, where my Acrobat Pro XI kept silently shutting down (without generating any obvious symptoms of a crash). After reading this thread, I configured Windows firewall (which allows program specific rules) to disallow any outgoing connections from the Acrobat Pro XI program (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe in my case).

This has solved the problem for now. I think a similar firewall-related solution should work for other operating systems too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating X to 10.0.23 and XI to 11.1.16 seems to fix this for many people without needing to shut down wifi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post.  On a recent system reinstall, I ran into the same problem.  Blocking Acrobat from outbound traffic fixed the issue.  Adobe must have turned off some registration/account check.  Acrobat again works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines