• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat XI form editing - cannot drag a form field to edit tab order

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Acrobat XI. I'm up to about 70 fields and have plenty to go.

Suddenly I cannot drag a field to change its order in the field pane. I click, hold and drag, and can see the little dotted line move, but when I unclick the field remains stuck. All of the fields appear to be locked against dragging.

I could find nothing in the discussions on this problem and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

EDIT: I should add - I do have "sort manually" checked under the Tab Order dropdown.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the field's lock property to on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unlocked - but thank you for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But even when the field is locked in Properties, it can still be dragged/dropped into the tab order.

I haven't run into the problem before and I do a lot of forms, but it's also been a few years since I used Acrobat XI and many features have been changed or improved

It appears you've taken the right steps, such as selecting the option to sort the fields manually. Does this happen to all the fields in the list? Or just one or some fields?

Do you have the ability to upgrade to Acrobat DC:2018, the latest version? It provides a few more options in controlling fields. You could download the free trial to see if it resolves the problem and then purchase it if it does.

Of course, work on a copy of your original file before moving it into a newer version of Acrobat.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bevi - I will ask our IT manager if we are on the latest version.

I think I may have solved the problem. While in form editing, I tried selecting Order Tabs Unspecified from the Tab Order dropdown. All the fields kind of hiccupped --- and suddenly I had the freedom to drag fields at will again. Oddly enough when I looked back under the Tab Order later on, it had reset itself to Order Tabs Manually.

I won't mark this solved yet just in case something else happens on this topic. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I used your solution (selecting Orders Tabs Unspecified) and it worked for me. It appears to be a glitch but it's a glitch that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen as well, even though I've never had any similar problems in working with 100+ forms in the last few years. Your solution worked for me, too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating my form this week, I had no problems being able to drag the fields to the order I wanted. 

Today all of a sudden I ran into the same issue.  I used the workaround above and it worked.  

How odd that I didn't have the issue all week, but all of a sudden now I do.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent solution. This only  happens once in a while and I always forget the solution until I come back here. Thanks for the great solution. IT WORKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this issue as well and I found that if I click on the lower left corner of the field, I can move it. If this is a new feature, it's very annoying and inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue, I unistalled Acrobat and reinstalled and it worked perfect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines