• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Actions: Automate "add note to replace text" comment process

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro DC, I have to find every instance of a letter and "add note to replace text."  For example, I locate each instance of "A" and under Comments, select "Add note to replace text" and enter "G" in the comment box.  Is there a way to create an action for this process?  

Thank you very much for any guidance or resource you could provide! 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean each letter on its own, or as a part of word?

You can do it using a combination of the Search & Remove Text command and a script to convert the Redact comments created by that command to Replace Text comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the guidance.  I'll need to find or learn to write scripts.  I wasn't sure if there was an action already created that I wasn't aware of.  

I have to replace instances of letters (and or numbers).  For example, a document is Appendix A, so all diagrams are labeled A.1, A.2.  Now, this file needs to be Appendix B, so I need to use comments to replace all "A"s with "B."  I'm required to show the change in comments, not just edit the letter in the file itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the comments only show what needs to be replaced. They can't be used to actually replace the text.

That is something you should do not on the PDF file, but outside of Acrobat..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, I need to add a comment to every instance of a letter.  I do not want to replace any text in the file.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Acrobat Script Cannot replace text on the page.

The kind of operation you are proposing needs to be done on the original document. 

PDF is not an editing or document creation format. It is a publishing format. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to edit the document.  I  need to find every instance of a letter and then add a comment that indicates to replace the text.  Currently, what I do is search for "A" throughout the document and manually add a comment to replace that "A" with "B" for instance.  That instruction is only given in the comment.  I don't want to actually change the "A" on the file to "B."  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of ways to implement a solution for this. One way is to use the "doc.getPageNthWord()" function to find your words and then add one of the annotations, such as the strike thru annot, over the word location. 

See this article for more information:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Page-Coordinates.cfm

But there is a simpler method, which is to use the Redaction Search. This Acrobat Pro feature searches for specified words and adds a redaction annotations to the found words.  A script can then replace these annots with a different type. This is the same technique used for the "Find and Highlight Words" action here:

https://acrobatusers.com/actions-exchange/

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jem19,

Did you find solution for this case yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solutions were described above. If you're looking to purchase a tool that will allow you to do it without having to write the code yourself please feel free to contact me privately and we could discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines