• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add this script executes when field is signed by VBA?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I've got a PDF that is generated from an excel sheet when the user selects print to pdf.  the pdf creates, opens, add's two signature fields and two text fields.  Now from a PDF I can go to properties of a signature field and select the this script executes - and have it fill in the date in one of the fields - without issue.  What is desired is to have the sheet printed to PDF via the VBA, and allow us to email it to the recipient who can then digitally sign it - and have it populate their date signed field.

But how can I embed that JS via my VBA code?  I was referred to look at setAction but it doesn't seem like that would work in my situation? would I have any options?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to share your code so that the developers in the community can assist you better. 

I would recommend that you reach out to ACP Thom Parker. I've seen him assist other users before with this particular mix of VB and JS.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/8591535

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't have any code yet as I couldn't locate a starting place - or if it was really possible.  I will try to reach Mr. Parker.

I create the signature blocks themselves using this as a starting point.

https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/convert-excel-to-pdf-with-empty-signature-box.1093353/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 've seen similar posts like yours where some users that work a lot with VB and .Net   it is (or may be)  possible.

It is not that simple though. 

The VB sscript part should be easy as far as the Visual Basic for Applications applications part is concerned. 

With JavaScript, on the other hand, since your intent is to embed VB into a JS code that will interface with the PDF document, you may get stuck with security restrictions; in which case, this basically implies that some events need  your code to act as a trusted function and execute in a privileged context.

Here are some perfect examples:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The VBA script provided by John W at the link you posted is quite good. However, I would suggest you create an Acrobat folder level function for adding all of the PDF features, then call this script from the VBA. Develop this script first, in Acrobat Professional, then go back to the VBA.

You can read about adding fields to a PDF Here: Notice that many of the same functions are used in the article scripts as in the  VBA. 

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Page-Coordinates.cfm

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Form-Scripting.cfm

You can read about folder level scripts here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Installing_Automation_Tools.cfm

When a PDF signature field is signed, it generates a Keystroke event. . You can use a keystroke event script to set the date field. This is the same as the "signed" script on the signature field properties dialog.

Set the keystroke script with the "Field.setAction()" function. Here's the reference entry:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/acrobat_dc_sdk/2015/HTMLHelp/#t=Acro12_MasterBook%2FJS_API_Acro... 

If you would rather hire a developer for this task, then please contact me. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that.  I understand the benefits to using the folder level scripts.  It makes a lot of sense.  But am I correct that the folder script would need to be accessible by anyone who would use the form rather than just creates the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that one part of the script has to be saved in the  users' current directory, If that is what you meant.

The other part is in the PDF which will handle the events.

I am also learning JavaScript, so I apologize if my attempt to explain something out of my league doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, in my instance a user will be "creating" the PDF via excel VBA. they will then email the PDF to two different people - each who need to sign the form.  Neither of the two signers will have access to the folder where the function would be stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, got it!.

The email sending part was answered in this forum a few months ago.

I will try to find that discussion.

But basically what the user who posted the question discovered was, how he was typing the directoy path to the users script portion.

In the end it his issue had nothing to do with emailing and networking,  nor privileged context scripting; it had nothing to do with security restrictions either.

He eliminated  a few forward or backward slashes from the line of script that had the directoy path to a   folder level script... that fixed his problem.

I don't think a full physical path to a directoy in those two users computers is needed though, since the cPath parameter provides and independent temporary pathname to the source file:

cPath: "/C/temp/yourSource.pdf",

Again, I may be wrong and this may or may not apply to your case. But is worth looking into it if you want to resolve the part on how the users will have access to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder level script works with the VBA to create the form and email it to the form filler. The form filler does not need the folder level script. All the form scripts are inside the PDF. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you  (as usual) for clarifying this and your  guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohh indeed.  I hadn't realized that part.

Thanks, looking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just though adding to this discussion two more references  may be relevant to keep in mind:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you,  I'm still trying to work on it.  Just been pulled away from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines