Highlighted

Adding a "Save As" Prompt to a Fillable PDF to Preserve the Original Template

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am a graphic designer that frequently gets asked to create fillable PDFs. A lot of these documents are customized to a customer meaning that, although it's the same PDF template, the filled in content is different every time. The problem that I'm running in to is that my coworkers "Save" once they fill in the template, meaning they no longer have the "original", blank template. Is there a way to, once someone has filled in the PDF, to FORCE them to save the document as something different? A lot of people that request fillable documents have Adobe Reader, so I am not concerned about them editing the original template, fillable boxes, etc. Added note: Sometimes my coworkers have to return to a document to make a change (The customer got married, moved away, got a new phone number, etc.) It is important that once they save FROM the template that they are able to get back INTO that document and make changes.

I have seen people compare this to a Read-Only Microsoft Word Document; you can't make changes to the document unless you save it to your desktop. I am looking for a solution similar to this. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding a "Save As" Prompt to a Fillable PDF to Preserve the Original Template

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am a graphic designer that frequently gets asked to create fillable PDFs. A lot of these documents are customized to a customer meaning that, although it's the same PDF template, the filled in content is different every time. The problem that I'm running in to is that my coworkers "Save" once they fill in the template, meaning they no longer have the "original", blank template. Is there a way to, once someone has filled in the PDF, to FORCE them to save the document as something different? A lot of people that request fillable documents have Adobe Reader, so I am not concerned about them editing the original template, fillable boxes, etc. Added note: Sometimes my coworkers have to return to a document to make a change (The customer got married, moved away, got a new phone number, etc.) It is important that once they save FROM the template that they are able to get back INTO that document and make changes.

I have seen people compare this to a Read-Only Microsoft Word Document; you can't make changes to the document unless you save it to your desktop. I am looking for a solution similar to this. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the file itself as read-only, or you could embed a script in it that resets it when you open if it has a specific name, for example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0