• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding multiple security restrictions to PDF file

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day - I am setting up PDF forms for a client which they will email to their tenants to complete and return. However, the data of these completed forms must be restricted for editing as it contains sensitive information like banking details. All I can get information on is how to restrict the editing all together, but then the tenant can't fill in the form either...Can anyone advise me on how to solve this problem without having creating multiple password security settings? Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want these sensitive fields locked after being filled by the tenant?  

You add a form script to make the fields ReadOnly when they send it back.  This is not secure, but someone would have to have some PDF skills to break it.

You could also send the form through Adobe Sign. Adobe sign returns a flattened and secure PDF. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your feedback Thom. I will test both these options. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Thom - I tried the first option and remember that I implemented this before...if I change the fillable field's property to be read only, the tenant/recipient can't complete/fill in the field on their side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not read properly...so you want the recipient to change the form field properties once they have completed it to be 'read only'...this does not make it very user friendly, as we are dealing with quite a few not so tech savvy clients:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea would be to have a checkbox, button, or something that would trigger a script to make the fields readonly. You could add an email button that does it. The general idea is to automate the process so it is transparent to the user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok - that makes sense. Thanks - will give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a Digital Signature field and set it to lock those sensitive fields, leaving others editable.

Then sign the file and forward it to your clients. This has the extra benefit of allowing them to validate that the information in the file has not been tampered with since you signed it. You can also add another signature field that will allow them to do the same for the fields they've filled in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice - will try that...but again, have to consider the versions of Adobe used by the clients/tenants as some only have Adobe Reader. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make this an Adobe Sign form, then the Acrobat version will not be important. And the users can sign and fill using a mobile device. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hallo Thom - we have tried that as well, but still have issues with some Android devices which does not have built in Adobe capabilities like IOs systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines