• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Admin IT needs to set Acrobat Pro not Adobe Reader as default on thousands of Windows machines

Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this request on behalf of our client (enterprise)

Setting Acrobat Pro as default on each individual machine is documented and known to all. However, when you have thousands of machines and have both Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader installed on most of these machines, the Admin IT would need a fast or remote tool to set Acrobat Pro as the default application.

Is there such tool or instruction to help the IT. I do remember such case few years back and have searched Adobe devnet, however, I'm not able to find it now.

Note.: Even after setting Acrobat Pro as default on each machine manually, when the Windows OS is updated, the default application would switch by itself to Adobe Reader, hence each user must go and change the default back to Acrobat Pro!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader is useless and redundant if Acrobat Pro is installed.

You just have to remove Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JR Boulay wrote:

You just have to remove Acrobat Reader.

Not an option in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zaid,

++ Adding to the discussion,

You need to refer you Client to the Enterprise Admin Guide. And most importantly, to be aware that some of these customizations are done via Group Policy and some via the Acrobat Customization Wizard before deploying an image to all of those machines.

But even most important, I think that they need to look into the Adobe Enterprise & Teams: Administration Guide.

Specifically have them take a look in the section  "Shared Device Licensing | Deployment Guide".

It is very impirtant to clarify how are they sharing the licensing on each machine and which type of licensing: Shared Device Licensing or Named User Licensing.

I am just adding this observation to rule out if the handling of enterprise shares in an Active Domain, or setting up identity will have an impact or not during a mass deployment default configuration.

See here:

That said, you didn't mentioned if the Client also have any virtualization involved in this mix like, Citrix, for example.

But nevertheless, since the Client wants to keep a parallel installation of both Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, the areas of interest to look into may be:

• Accepting the EULA
  • Disabling Registration
  • Turning off the splash page
  • Disabling startup tips
  • Disable Upsell
  • Disabling in-product messaging
  • Controlling updates

These are the areas that

usually trigger problems when you have both Reader and Acrobat installed in parallel in the same computer.

The how-to's  are described in detail in the "Basic Configuration" section of the Admin Guide.

Here's the link:

The Admin guides mentioned above also need as a companion the "Preference Reference for Acrobat and Adobe Reader" due to some of the tweaks that must be handled via registry hives:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be asking the client to look at your post for better involvement.

As far as the license type is concerned, Shared Device License (SDL) is for education as far as I know, however, this client is Oil & Gas their named license is under ETLA. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Not an option in this case."

Why?

(Just by curiosity)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines