Highlighted

Adobe Acrobat DC crashes on page recognition

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (2015 Release (Classic) | Version 2015.006.30523), with no updates available, on a Windows 10 Pro Surface Book 2.

When editing PDFs to add text (grading submitted papers), student-scanned documents are crashing Adobe. I open the document, click on the Tools option from the upper bar, then click on the Edit PDF tool. A Performing page recognition pop up appears for about 2 seconds and then Adobe crashes. This was working fine last semester.

Some (older) PDFs that I have opened do not crash when I attempt to edit the document. But this has crashed on the last three papers submitted by students, all of which were scans.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Edit and convert PDFs, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Acrobat DC crashes on page recognition

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (2015 Release (Classic) | Version 2015.006.30523), with no updates available, on a Windows 10 Pro Surface Book 2.

When editing PDFs to add text (grading submitted papers), student-scanned documents are crashing Adobe. I open the document, click on the Tools option from the upper bar, then click on the Edit PDF tool. A Performing page recognition pop up appears for about 2 seconds and then Adobe crashes. This was working fine last semester.

Some (older) PDFs that I have opened do not crash when I attempt to edit the document. But this has crashed on the last three papers submitted by students, all of which were scans.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Edit and convert PDFs, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 31, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi A Smith

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the application is crashing while opening the scanned documents for editing.

As mentioned it is crashing with some and not all the PDFs would you mind sharing a sample PDF file with us for testing so that we can check it at our end.

Please try to repair the installation (For Windows only) and see if that works for you. Go to Help > Repair Installation.

Also, please try to disable the protected mode for testing. Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security >Turn off the Protected Mode and uncheck the enhanced Security > Click OK and reboot the application and check.
Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

You may also take a look at the steps provided in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html and see if that helps

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
MG-V LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem. Running Windows 10, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Version 2015.006.30172.

Oddly, after lots of experimenting I discovered that the problem only occured on documents I scanned on my HP OfficeJet. (NOT from PDFs generated from applications such as Word, InDesign, IE or Chrome,etc which may use PDFWriter, Adobe Distiller, etc.). I discovered that "Show bounding boxes" was selected when the EDIT PDF tool page came up before Acrobat crashed.

MG-V_1-1606333989514.jpeg

I opened a PDF that  was generated in Word, opened The EDIT PDF tool and deselected "Show bounding box". 

MG-V_0-1606333966253.jpeg

After closing this file I opened up the problem PDF (generated by scanning a page on my HP OfficeJet Scanner. and had no problem going to the EDIT PDF tool. So now I could crop the page as I intended.

I hope this helps you and everyone else with this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0