• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC does not support Microsoft Word - I have Adobe Creative Cloud and Office 365

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Somehow, I am unable to create a PDF from within Acrobat DC from a docx document because docx (or doc) is not a supported format. I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, so my version of Acrobat is the most recent. I also have an O365 subscription, so my Word version is the latest and installed on my PC. I am able to print to PDF from inside Word, or Save as PDF, but that is not appropriate for me because I need to create a PDF using a different ISO standard than the one available from inside Word. Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

To create a PDF with Acrobat DC from a docx document go to the file menu > open > navigate to your word docx, in the dialog window change the "Show" option from Adobe PDF Files to All files click open to convert the docx file to a pdf.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 11.50.59 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you MIke,

I tried that but it does not work. Doing the way you said, allows me to see the docx file, however, when I click "Open" I get this error message, which is similar to the one which from "Create a PDF" doesn't allow me to see doc or docx files.

dipaolt_0-1616945326524.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that I know the docx file is good and not corrupted, because I am able to Create a PDF and navigate to this file, see it, open it, and create it from within Acrobat Pro DC on another computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Word is locally installed on the computer, even if you normally use the online app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is. The entire office suite is. When I click on "Create a PDF" and go to open a file, I can see powerpoints and Excel files, but just not Word files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your DOCX with Word or LibreOffice, then export/save as to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am unable to create a PDF from within Acrobat DC from a docx document because docx (or doc) is not a supported format."

???

Capture_274.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry JR, but this doe snot work either because docx or doc is not a supported format. Word does not appear in the list in the prefernces:

dipaolt_0-1617062188012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. It was bug. I ended up calling Adobe Customer Support, and they were not able to help either. Re-installed Adobe Acrobat, deleted old files, checked system files, re-installed Office, nothing has worked yet. Perhaps there is a conflict with another app? But still no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed a bug, dipaolt. I have the same issue and have tried every fix I could find. None of the office file formats are listed in Convert to PDF. Mine looks exactly like yours. 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dipaolt, I know this is a long shot since this is from over a year ago, but did you end up getting this problem figured out? I am having the exact same issue... Microsoft Word is missing from the "Convert to PDF" list and docx files aren't being accepted in the "Combine" tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and nothing I tried has  fixed it...anyone been able to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The case management software I use converts word to PDF, or I use the Adobe Acrobat addin for word and covert from Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@timpmilThis is what worked for me:

1.) Press the windows key () + R and run regedit

2.) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx

3.) Change the (Default) value data to say Word.Document.12

4.) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc (you must do this step even if you don't have any .doc files. This is where I messed up because I thought I'd only need to change .docx)

5.) Change the (Default) value data to say Word.Document.8

After doing this, Microsoft Word appeared again in the Convert to PDF list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@codyh781394 

Thank you!! That worked!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg I was having the same problem (where Microsoft Word was missing from the "Convert to PDF" list in Acrobat settings) and this worked for me! You are a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@codyh781394  thank you so much for this fix. I am a year late in trying this. It solved my problem. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines