• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC has encountered an unknown error.

May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Receive this error when trying to Edit PDF's.

Adobe Acrobat DC Pro is set as default.

Using Windows 10 and 7, same error.

Have ran updates and repairs on the program.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Solved this issue.

We were opening older versions of Adobe PDF's, which threw the error.

Going into Tools/Optimize/and change the compatibility setting.

Hopefully this can help others with the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved this issue.

We were opening older versions of Adobe PDF's, which threw the error.

Going into Tools/Optimize/and change the compatibility setting.

Hopefully this can help others with the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the same problem here - However, I did change the settings, but it did not correct the problem.  We are all on the Cloud version of Adobe, so it's the latest update.

What version setting doe it need to be modified to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the compatibility setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long solution.....I opened the pdf file with Adobe, then export save as "word document". I open word document file, by the way its easier to edit in word, then safe it as a PDF file again and bam! now you can EDIT PDF in Adobe cathym88086221​ jeffd76614107​ P.S I tried the tools and configuring too, but it didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me - thank you for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't export it as word since im not subscribed to pro do you have any workaround? this app is useless if i cannot even edit and sign on my doc. thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I keep getting an unknown error.  I have tried every instruction I can find on this error.  I am using Windows 7 Pro.  Please help ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept having this problem and found a solution myself. I assumed it had to do something with the compatibility settings for the original document so I opened that document in a freebie PDF editor that has very little capability but it let me save the document to be compatible with PDF 1.5 and above. Once I've been opened that document back up in Adobe, everything was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just yesterday updated the Adobe DC app, now I can't edit pdf's because it throws an unknown error.  I deleted the app and reloaded it which did absolutely no good.  This app is worthless to me if I can't use the edit function. 

Note, before the update everything was going fine in Adobe DC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah they upped the requirements of the Adobe PDF Format.

I downloaded a statement, wanted to edit it and it gave me the same useless error message.

I am on a Mac, opened the PDF in the Preview app and saved it as a PDF without changing anything within the document.

I opened it in Adobe CC again and now I can edit it. Looks like the Mac Preview app converted it into a newer PDF version.

I find it pretty disappointing from Adobe to just change the requirements for the PDF file in order to edit it. And the error message not giving any specific details is just as bad.

This is the exact reason why I hate subscriptions. They update their stuff without any regards to the paying enduser, as long as it fits in their vision.

At least with a proprietary license (which they don't offer anymore) you for one keep the copy forever and it doesn't suddenly updates itself and cripples your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I've been having the same issue.  Is there any solution to usuing Acrobat DC?  If not, how to I download an older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.58.54 PM.png

Yes there is a solution and here it is (in Mac):

First open your pdf document in acrobat DC. (obviously it should not be signed document which prevents it from being editable)

Once you open your document you will have the error the moment you click edit...Right?

What you need to do then is: EXPORT PDF from the tool tab.

it will give you options you need to click the link of "More Formats"

Then you choose: " Post Script", save it to your desktop or document folder.

Now close your PDF document and keep the acrobat DC open.

Click from the tool tab "Create PDF"

You will choose the file you just created with the extension .PS (stands for post script).

Once you do that you will have the PDF created, save it under a different name so you do not overwrite your original document.

Then open this new PDF in acrobat DC and VOILA ....YOu will be able to edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 2021 and I'm still getting the same error. This worked for me on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm getting the same problem in the last few days, and since the main reason for subscribing to Adobe is for Acrobat, this really is a showstopper. It seems that whenever anyone asks a question about editing or signing a document, Adobe's "solution" is to tell users to convert to MS Word and do it there. Admittedly, that does work, but it does make me wonder what we're paying for if the solution is to use a rival software company's product to achieve what's needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error message: "Unknown Error". I would click through it and eventually it would say "Out of Memory". Tried all the tricks found on the message boards, like deleting the temporary files. I ended up having to uninstall Adobe Acrobat DC Pro and reinstalling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines