Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro crashes after opening

Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can install and open Acrobat Pro DC as a domain administrator, but as soon as I log in as a user it closes immediately after opening.  I've tried uninstalling with the cleanup tool and reinstalling, activating/deactivating it, repair install, making the user a temporary administrator, opening it under the local admin account, updated it, ran repair installation, installed all available windows updates/runtimes, Acrobat Pro DC refuses to stay open however under the user's profile.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing good. Thanks all for your time and patience on this and for your cooperation and sorry for the trouble you had with Acrobat.

Please try the solutions shared in the following articles and let us know if you are still experiencing the crash issue: 

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

I reccomend calling Tech support, they walked me through getting it to work again. What he did in this case is, I had an employee having issues with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, He went through and cleared out the local user Creds in Credential Manager. But the big change he made was to Uninstall Acrobat DC and Creative Cloud, and then downloaded creative cloud cleaner and acrocleaner to remove all the old files etc... Then went and downloaded the 32 Bit version of Acrobat DC. According to him the 32 B

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 159 Replies 159
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a subscription for Acrobat DC or a perpetual license? If a subscription, are you logged in to the account that owns this subscription? Does it work on other profiles?

Also, what's the OS on that computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue.  Acrobat closes after about 15 seconds.   I'm on Windows 7 and have a Acrobat Pro DC subscription.

I'm signed into my Adobe account on Acrobat and I have accepted my subscription to my account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody posted something about deleting the C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore folder to clear the version 11 license.  I did this and reactivated my DC and it's not automatically closing anymore. 

It's strange that someone took down that post which was on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was what did it for me! None of the mucking about with registry keys, eula.exe, etc made a difference, but this immediately fixed the problem (Adobe Acrobat 10.0). Note for others: C:\ProgramData may be a hidden folder that does not appear normally in your C drive, just paste that address into the address bar of Explorer and hit go, it'll pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had the support assist me in resolving this, follow the steps below to resolve this. What I didn't know was the perpetual licenses from the previous version of Acrobat was preventing DC from activating, after we removed these folders it works properly.

if you wish to retain the older perpetual licensed software this will require you to reenter the serial or license key's.

1. C:\ProgramData\Adobe – Rename SLStore
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe – Rename SLCache and Adobe PCD
  3. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Adobe – Delete OOBE
  4. Launch Acrobat as an Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming these directories also works vs removing them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't.  My IT dept did this last week and it came back again this week after we renamed the folders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nate30999424hfxg 

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat application and the OS you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the most recent version 23.03.20244 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

If it still doesn't work, Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html  share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud, generate the link, and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, the strange thing here is that anytime I open Acrobat to get this info... it closes. Maybe you can help me with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Please share the requested information so we can further investigate the issue for the fix.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only advice that worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome glad it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY...a "solution" that worked, thank you!!! I simply renamed folders SLStore, SLCache, and Adobe PCD vs removing/deleting. I was not able to rename or delete the OOBE folder, but this solution still resolved the application open/close issue.

Note/background info: I had a copy of Acrobat Pro XI installed (perpetual license) at time of installing Adobe Pro DC (v19) trial. I chose not to uninstall XI just in case I needed/wanted to revert back to that version. After successfully installing DC, I'm still able to open XI, thus it seems both versions can coexist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't the files named SLStore, SLCache, Adobe PCD and OOBE when i followed C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe i only see the folders Acrobat. ARM, HelpCfg and reader.
Is it different files/locations when company usage or private use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me thank you - only had to do Step 1: 

1. C:\ProgramData\Adobe – Rename SLStore

Tried to do the other steps but was blocked by lack of Admin rights on my work machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. I could launch Acrobat and then open files but when I simply double clicked a PDF in Windows Explorer to open it, Acrobat immediately closed again. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this solution.

I've had such a poor experience with Adobe products in the past, that I've been clinging to my old Acrobat Pro XI license for years, as not to reward them with any more of my hard earned money. I grudgingly upgraded today, and immediately ran into this issue. Your help has kept me on this platform, at least for the next 7 days of the trial.

If any Adobe representatives are monitoring this thread, would you please consider rectifying this problem in the software? The workaround was posted 2.5 years ago, and apparently it's still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sreid2 thank you for info about these steps.

I renamed these folders and Acrobat Pro DC launches again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename SLStore to what? I am confused on how to do this, I am sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the fix!

I've been using acrobat all day and in the middle of working, the documents started to close right after opening them. The only thing I would add is that I had to restart the computer for the fix to work. I guess that should have been common sense but it took me a few minutes to give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! it actually works! event with Acrobat Pro 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do you keep Adobe Acrobat 11 working after this so-called upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you perform the steps I listed above it will reset the licensing, the reason the application closes in the first place is because its thinking the licensing is expired and does this to prevent usage.

One way to check is to open adobe distiller, it will flash a message about the license being expired or not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines