Highlighted

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC closes immediately after opening under user profile.

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can install and open Acrobat Pro DC as a domain administrator, but as soon as I log in as a user it closes immediately after opening.  I've tried uninstalling with the cleanup tool and reinstalling, activating/deactivating it, repair install, making the user a temporary administrator, opening it under the local admin account, updated it, ran repair installation, installed all available windows updates/runtimes, Acrobat Pro DC refuses to stay open however under the user's profile.

Community Beginner
Correct answer by Sreid2 | Community Beginner

I recently had the support assist me in resolving this, follow the steps below to resolve this. What I didn't know was the perpetual licenses from the previous version of Acrobat was preventing DC from activating, after we removed these folders it works properly.

if you wish to retain the older perpetual licensed software this will require you to reenter the serial or license key's.

1. C:\ProgramData\Adobe – Rename SLStore
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe – Rename SLCache and Adobe PCD
  3. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Adobe – Delete OOBE
  4. Launch Acrobat as an Administrator.

Topics

Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC closes immediately after opening under user profile.

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can install and open Acrobat Pro DC as a domain administrator, but as soon as I log in as a user it closes immediately after opening.  I've tried uninstalling with the cleanup tool and reinstalling, activating/deactivating it, repair install, making the user a temporary administrator, opening it under the local admin account, updated it, ran repair installation, installed all available windows updates/runtimes, Acrobat Pro DC refuses to stay open however under the user's profile.

Community Beginner
Correct answer by Sreid2 | Community Beginner

I recently had the support assist me in resolving this, follow the steps below to resolve this. What I didn't know was the perpetual licenses from the previous version of Acrobat was preventing DC from activating, after we removed these folders it works properly.

if you wish to retain the older perpetual licensed software this will require you to reenter the serial or license key's.

Topics

Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a subscription for Acrobat DC or a perpetual license? If a subscription, are you logged in to the account that owns this subscription? Does it work on other profiles?

Also, what's the OS on that computer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue.  Acrobat closes after about 15 seconds.   I'm on Windows 7 and have a Acrobat Pro DC subscription.

I'm signed into my Adobe account on Acrobat and I have accepted my subscription to my account.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody posted something about deleting the C:\ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore folder to clear the version 11 license.  I did this and reactivated my DC and it's not automatically closing anymore. 

It's strange that someone took down that post which was on this thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming these directories also works vs removing them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only advice that worked! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome glad it worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY...a "solution" that worked, thank you!!! I simply renamed folders SLStore, SLCache, and Adobe PCD vs removing/deleting. I was not able to rename or delete the OOBE folder, but this solution still resolved the application open/close issue.

Note/background info: I had a copy of Acrobat Pro XI installed (perpetual license) at time of installing Adobe Pro DC (v19) trial. I chose not to uninstall XI just in case I needed/wanted to revert back to that version. After successfully installing DC, I'm still able to open XI, thus it seems both versions can coexist. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't the files named SLStore, SLCache, Adobe PCD and OOBE when i followed C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe i only see the folders Acrobat. ARM, HelpCfg and reader.
Is it different files/locations when company usage or private use?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me thank you - only had to do Step 1: 

Tried to do the other steps but was blocked by lack of Admin rights on my work machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. I could launch Acrobat and then open files but when I simply double clicked a PDF in Windows Explorer to open it, Acrobat immediately closed again. Thank you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this solution.

I've had such a poor experience with Adobe products in the past, that I've been clinging to my old Acrobat Pro XI license for years, as not to reward them with any more of my hard earned money. I grudgingly upgraded today, and immediately ran into this issue. Your help has kept me on this platform, at least for the next 7 days of the trial.

If any Adobe representatives are monitoring this thread, would you please consider rectifying this problem in the software? The workaround was posted 2.5 years ago, and apparently it's still broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sreid2 thank you for info about these steps.

I renamed these folders and Acrobat Pro DC launches again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename SLStore to what? I am confused on how to do this, I am sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do you keep Adobe Acrobat 11 working after this so-called upgrade?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you perform the steps I listed above it will reset the licensing, the reason the application closes in the first place is because its thinking the licensing is expired and does this to prevent usage.

One way to check is to open adobe distiller, it will flash a message about the license being expired or not present.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so Adobe support says that having Acrobat DC and older XI on the same workstation will not work.  This is not a happy situation.  Uninstalling XI made DC work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me (XI and DC installed at same time)....see my reply above. NOTE: Running Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our issue came because there was an Adobe update waiting in the background that we didn't get notified about.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you resolve it? I have not been able to get this desktop to work with all of the steps above

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind I figuered it out - Acrobat Install waiting on hidden icon menu on the task bar - Ran it manually and it installed and resolved the issue. Thanks for the heads up about the pending install!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved the problem in 10 seconds following this solution. Mucho thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF