Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Freeze after Create PDF From Scanner

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

When I try to create a document either from File->Create->PDF From Scanner or Tools->Create PDF->Scanner, Adobe scans the document, processes it, displays it, then freezes completely. I can't save and none of the menus are responsive to mouse clicks etc. If I right click the program on the taskbar and click "Close Window", a window does pop up asking if I want to save the scan, but I can't click on it or hit enter. I then have to force close the program from Task Manager. 

Scanning works from the Windows Scan application but creates much larger file sizes than Adobe. 

I have looked at past threads on this subject and followed the troubleshooting instructions for general scanning issues and Acrobat freezing here and here. On 9/1, after uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Acrobat I did test scan and save a document successfully once, but now 10 days later the original problem is back. 

Here is some further information:

Dell XPS 15 9570, all drivers and BIOS up to date

Adobe Acrobat DC Version 2020.012.20043

Windows 10 Home Version 2004 Build 19041.508

Scanner Brother MFC-9460CDN and Canon TR9530 (both printers present the same issue)

Thanks for any insight you can offer into the problem. Also welcome any workarounds. 

Chris

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Create PDFs , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the problem persists if you repair the installation?

Did Acrobat started manifesting this issue after the latest update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I repaired the installation and was able to make one scan on the flatbed and save it. Then I tried 3 pages from the document feeder. The scan completed and processed, I could edit the pdf for about a minute, then the same freeze behavior occurred - no response, no "not responding", simply have to end task.

In short, yes the issue manifested after the last update. The last time I successfully made a scan was on August 3, though I am not sure with which version I was using (would guess either 20.009.20067, 20.009.20074 or whichever version appeared as an Adobe CC update before then). The freeze issue occurred the next time I attempted a scan on August 31, which would have been after I updated. 

Should I try rolling back to a previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe support directly regarding this issue. They had me uninstall with Adobe Acrobat Cleaner and do a clean install from this link. The freezing issue persisted and they escalated the issue. Someone should be contacting me in the next day or so. It doesn't appear to be a common problem, but I'll post back any solution they come up with. Until then I am unable to make scans from Adobe Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, great!

Hopefully they'll get you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Did you ever get a resolution for this issue?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have not unfortunately. We have tried the following:

- repair the installation and re-install

- roll back to June, 2020 version (the last version when scanning was working)

- roll all the way back to Acrobat 2015

I have been living without scanning but hurting for a good workaround that was as smooth and easy (and produced a similarly small file size). Currently the problem is escalated and I am expecting a call back to address the issue this week.

It could have something to do with a separate troubleshooting I was doing for my wireless connection, where Dell Support had me disable all non-Microsoft background services and startup apps. I have re-enabled most of them, including the Adobe ones, but that hasn't fixed the issue. 

I will update this thread after the call, but if anyone has other thoughts please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly recommend that you bring your Windows 10 version to 1909. You can go to this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows 10 Update Assistant

Open the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and let it do its thing. Or you can manually force the upgrade by going to the Micrososft Windows download page (link below) and click on "Update Now": 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

I am suggesting this based on things that I've read about the 2004 version , which has undergone many changes and updates since 2019, specifically on hardware support.

There is one more method that ZDNet recommends if else fails with your 2004 version, which is resetting your Windows version when it becomes, broken, unresponsive, or problematic with certain types of hardware.

To do so you must backup your data and perform the reset operation using the DISM command or a clean install (which is more likely to work the best).

See how is done here: 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-whats-the-right-way-to-do-a-clean-install/

See how to use DISM here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

NOTE:

• Just remember that if you choose to do these resets you must deactivate your computer in your Adobe user account online. When the fresh installation completes, you may two Windows computer devices. Ensure that you deactivate the old profile and leave active the new detected computer. This is done in https://account.adobe.com/plans

• Click on "Manage Plans" and on the next landing page, scroll down to the "Activated devices" section.  You'll get the option to deactivate here.

That said, if you don't wish to do these recommendations maybe you'll need to run the Acrobat Cleanup and Repair tool after you uninstall your Acrobat. And since you've also mentioned doing the updates via CC Desktop app, maybe you'll also need to run the CC Cleanup Tool. 

Get these tools from here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detailed response. Adobe technical support, for a third time, performed a repair and clean up + re-install operation. Again, scanning worked for the time I remained on the call but the following day stopped working again. 

To be clear, do you mean I should roll back to 1909 from 2004? I do see that I installed 2004 on 8/15/2020, which is after the last time scanning was successful and before the first time it failed. There is also a feature update 20H4, which I haven't installed yet. 

I don't see the Windows Update Assistant file you referenced. I am seeing from an internet search that the only way to go back to 1909 is via a clean install. Given time constraints I would really like to avoid having to clean install, especially if I am not sure it will fix it.

Have you seen this issue elsewhere in the community? Feels like an isolated case particular to my system.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you're right. I think that was the May 2020 update. Try applying the new Windows 10 October 2020 Update (version 20H2)

Here's a good article I came accross that describes all bugs or features introduced on each knowledge base update for MS Windows 10:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199077/windows-10-a-guide-to-the-updates.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update on this issue: not yet resolved. I decided to borrow a computer to make the scans when I need them instead of forcing the Windows update while there weren't any other serious issues. I'll report back after I move to a more recent version of Windows. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines