• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC freezes for several seconds after opening a PDF - Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community,

Anyone have an issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC freezing for several seconds after opening a PDF on Windows 10. I tried uninstalling and installing as well and changing a few settings I saw suggested online like reducing the number of documents listed in the history. This problem just started today after having no issues for a long time. I didn't download, install, or update anything today.

Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Hi all,

Sorry for the experience and thank you for bringing this to our notice. We appreciate your patience on this.

I would like to mention deleting Acrocef.exe is not an Adobe’s recommended solution or a workaround for this issue. Deleting the process might lead to malfunction of the various features of the product associated with the process. That being said, we are currently tracking this issue and will keep you posted. 

You may help us further by providing logs from your machine to investiga

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue! Any luck figuring this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

Are you experiencing this issue after installing the latest patch 2019.010.20098? You may confirm whether you have got the Acrobat up to date or not. Open Acrobat>Help>About Acrobat.

DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

Refer to the all troubleshooting steps suggested in help article here: Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows  and let us know the result.

Check with a different PDF and see if that causes the same problem.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue where Adobe Acrobat Pro DC freezes up for a few seconds when I open a PDF.  I just verified that I have the most current patch installed (19.010.20098).  It is almost like the application is checking on something or trying to update or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same for me - it freezes for a few seconds when starting. After a while it begins to work normally and there is no problem when opening other documents. After restarting Acrobat the situation is repeated. Latest update installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe,

I've following all of those instructions. I had the latest version of Acrobat, I already had those settings, and my product was activated. Acrobat is not crashing but freezing. Although some times it freezes so long I will get the pop-up asking if I want to wait or close Acrobat. When I first open Acrobat the icon in the top right where your account sign in is gray before I'm signed in and the notifications bell is also gray and during that whole time Acrobat is frozen. Only after I'm signed in and the notifications bell lights up will Acrobat become responsive. It looks like the hang up is coming during trying to connect to Adobe server to retrieve information. Is there a way to go into "offline" mode to avoid this hang up? I am on a subscription for Acrobat. I hope this gets addressed soon because it's super annoying and a ridiculous bug for such a huge company and an expensive product. I will 100% be canceling my subscription if it's not fixed. I am at work in a large company on a fiber connection where each employee has a constant 100 up and 100 down including myself. I also have the same issue at home with top tier cable connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our IT set up our systems to always auto-update.

But Adobe, of late is always looping on me and it's getting to be such a pain doing anything.

The time I waste waiting on it is beginning to get on my nerves. If I had an alternate that worked better I'd shut this down in a heartbeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...didn't improve mine a bit. 30 seconds of freeze – when opening Acrobat DC and when quitting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are not using the Creative Cloud service to collaborate with other Adobe products, Try to compare Acrobat's behavior when you disable the Creative Cloud Desktop app or by removing it completely.

You should be able to see better performance right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a business who has several users that have seen this problem start in the past week or so on their devices. We have ran through the list of steps to take inside of the "Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows" article and then some. I have been unable to send a crash report though, because the program does not technically crash and bring up the Windows Error Reporting dialog box. Instead it freezes for a time then will function again for a short period before freezing again. The timing of this issue seems to be suspiciously close to when the last Adobe Acrobat update was applied to the system. Please advise on the next steps to take to troubleshoot this very disruptive problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. It appears to me that Acrobat is signing into my online account which causes the program to hang. When I first open a file the circular icon at the top right hand corner is white and then turns blue signalling that I have signed into my account. This is when the hang time occurs. If I open a file and start scrolling immediately the sign activity does not occur until I stop scrolling. Interested to know if this is what others are experiencing or is something different altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this same problem. When I open a PDF document, the program stalls for sometimes up to a minute before allowing me to scroll through the pages or move the window on my screen. I noticed someone else complaining of delays associated with the blue account icon in the upper right portion of the window. My thoughts are, these two are unrelated. I am not a programmer and do not claim to know the internal workings of the Adobe program.

First: The stalling or freezing when documents are opened. I found that if I disable signature verification, my PDFs no longer freeze.

Click on the blue icon in the upper right portion of the window.

Click on preferences. Scroll down to Signatures. Find the section for "Verification, Control how and when signatures are verified". Click on the "More" button. Remove the check mark from the first box "Verify signatures when the document is opened"

After doing this exercise, I tested numerous documents and haven't had one freeze.

Second: The hesitation associated with the blue account icon. I still get a slight hesitation, one or two seconds, when the account icon connects and turns blue. This is certainly something I can live with compared to the one-minute delay I spoke of above.

I'm really interested in hearing if this works for others.

Good luck all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm - in my case, disabling signature verification solved the problem of freezing when starting the program/opening documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're doing God's work, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't keep the #$%& program open long enough to make any changes.  The ONLY solution I have found was to install something else. This has gotten to be a really time consuming and invasive issue .... NOTHING is worth putting up with this grief.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the above instructions and it did not work.  Still constantly freezing!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed all the solutions available and it still freezes.  Why not create an update that permanetly repairs this problem without creating a new one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, and the following has stopped it: In Adobe Properties, click the Compatibility Tab, then in Compatibility mode, click Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8, then click OK. Then re-start Adobe.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Ray Jackson

Streb Fire Protection Services

1305 West Enos

Springfield, IL 62702

Phone: 217-679-3286

Cell Phone: 217-971-4228

Email: rjackson@strebfireprotectionservices.com

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

Please consider our environment before printing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Close down Acrobat.
2) Fire up *regedit* (follow the usually cautions for dealing with the
Registry)
3) Navigate to: *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe
Acrobat\2015\FeatureLockDown*
4) You should see Key folders with names like *cDefaultExecMenuItems*,
*cDefaultFindAttachmentPerms*, *cDefaultLaunchAttachmentPerms*,
*cDefaultLaunchURLPerms*
5) If a key name named *cServices* does not yet exist, then create it
(right click on *FeatureLockDown* and select *New -> Key* and name it
*cServices*).
6) Left Click to Select the *cServices* Key you just created.
7) Right click in the white space in the right side pane and select *New
-> DWORD (32-bit) Value* and name this new Value
*bToggleAdobeDocumentServices*
8) Double Click on the newly created *bToggleAdobeDocumentServices* and
enter *1* *(Hexadecimal)* for the Value data. Click OK.
9) Continue creating new Key names within the *cServices* Key folder
until you have the following:
*Name
Type
Data*
* bToggleAdobeDocumentServices REG_DWORD
0x00000001 (1)*
* bToggleAdobeSign
REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)*
* bTogglePrefSync
REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)*
* bUpdater
REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)*
Note: The value of *bUpdater is 0* while the values of the first
three are 1).
Note: When you create the *cServices* Key folder a Key named
*(Default)* may be automatically create, this is OK. Just ignore it (don't
try to delete it).
10. Close the regedit, and restart Acrobat. You may need to restart your
PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY, a solution that works. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm, after dealing with this for months, that this worked!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Glad I didn't have to speak with any of the Non-sense people on the Adobe call center

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this suggestion:  Frustrated Adobe-User Mar 7, 2019 9:41 AM

Who knew?!? Thank you for this solution. I would never have figured that out. 90% improvement in performance. Bless ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines