• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC: Highlight tool changes from freehand to text select.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to backcheck some pdf drawings and to do so, i highlight my original markup if its been picked up. While doing this, ive noticed there are two forms of the highlight tool. Both come from the same tool button the "highlight tool". One form is a circular cursor that does freehand highlighting. The other is a vertical bar like a capitol letter "I" that only highlights text. I cant determine why, but the version of the tool that i get to use varies between pdf's. Is there a way to set the freehand tool as default?

Thank you for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

You probably have worked this out by now, it took me a while to figure it out as well. If it is a scanned pdf then you need to do/run a text recognition/image recognition on the page (or you can also choose the entire document).  Once you do that it recognizes the individual sentences and then the text cursor appears.  I use the Comment tool, select with the text cursor then click on the highlighter symbol to highlight the selected text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am being as kind as I possibly can -- whoever designed this software may be a fantastic coder and computer nerd, but has no common sense or idea what most users would need.  

Most people I know OFTEN use the redact and the highlighter.  This highlighter tool is such a disgrace that it has been easier for me to just print out the document, highlight it manually and then rescan...no kidding.

They see that many people are having a great deal of problem with this tool -- where it should be extremely simple, you want the free-hand or the select for a nice pro look --  it appears they have made it deliberately complicated instead.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seriously almost punched a hole in the wall today because this highlighter tool is so bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally gave up and decided to do a workaround. 

Click the "draw a rectangle" icon. 

Right click to change the Properties.

Choose your highlight color.

Click the dropdown for borders and choose "no line" (unless you want a border around your highlighted area)

Click the dropdown (looks like a checkered flag) and change the opacity to 40%. 

You can also select "Keep tool selected" if you want to highlight several areas within the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for posting your solution! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not at all the correct answer. He/She orginally asked how to make it freehand, INSTEAD of only on text. No one cares about making it highlight only text. This post reply has helped no one. Answer this: How do I make the highlighter freehand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the above comment. I have the same issue and want to freehand the highlight tool. One document I can freeland the hightight tool and another document I can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 2024. I work mainly with civil and architectural drawings, the ability to switch between highlight modes would be handy. Highlight text does not help when you need to highlight a pipe running diagonally across the page. The ability to switch between types of highlighting would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat DC is horrible at editing every aspect of .pdf when comparing to MS Word.  If you have office 365, the easiest way I've found is to export the .pdf to MS word do your edits and  highlights and edits, then to export the .pdf from MS word, not adobe. There are additional features that are carried over from when using the MS exprot to .pdf feature adobe acrobat feature.  Editing .pdf files in MS Word is much easier than adobe. The only thing adobe acrobat is good for is adding, removing, organizing pages, and exporting .pdf files to MS word. Also, another good feature of MS word is sharing documents with others is much easier.  You don't have to use the Adobe Acrobat server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this is frustrating, I found a way around this by exporting my original document to pdf rather than printing to pdf (what i originally did)  I then Saved exported downloaded file to computer,  then opened the saved document.  For whatever reason the highlighting worked perfectly then.  This may or may not help everyone but thought it might work for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a work around. When in the Comment, using "Pencil", you can change the line thickness and color opacity so that Pencil functions as a freform highlighter (rather than text highlighter).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely Adobe could make 2 separate tools. One for highlighting texts and one for freehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's crazy to me is that over a year ago I had both options, I would select the highlighter tool and right next to the color it showed an option for freehand/text and I could easily swap between both options with a click.. They got rid of that feature.. I reached out to support thinking it was an error but it was not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only workaround I have found is to make the marker tool a different color, around 40% transparent, and increase the size. It's very annoying if you also want to make freehand notes in red pen because you are then switching back and forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines