Highlighted

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC not saving documents created from web pages

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a document from a web page. Then I save it choosing my desktop as the destination folder. Everything seems to be working fine and I do not receive any error message. But the document never appears on my desktop, nor in the list of recent documents that appears when opening this application. The problem is a persisting one and related to any web page. I don't know what to do...

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC not saving documents created from web pages

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a document from a web page. Then I save it choosing my desktop as the destination folder. Everything seems to be working fine and I do not receive any error message. But the document never appears on my desktop, nor in the list of recent documents that appears when opening this application. The problem is a persisting one and related to any web page. I don't know what to do...

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what operating system and version of Acrobat you are using?

Thanks - my best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave! I am on Windows 10 Home, fully updated, and use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.012.20043.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an interesting twist that might prove useful!

I made two PDFs from web pages.  One was from a url that was relatively short, and one from an Amazon item page.  The Amazon url was enormous in length - dozens of characters.  And don't you know... the Amazon one behaved as yours did on my Windows 10 machine.  The huge url PDF didn't show up in my desktop, but the shorter one did.  This may or may not be relevant, but check to see how long the url is on the one that behaved oddly for you.  If it's a very long string, we can go further to see if there's a work-around.

Best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot be 100% sure but it looks like the problem is independent from URL length. Some of the URLs I was trying to save as PDFs (renaming them with acceptable, short names) were not very long at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that as well, but Acrobat seems to take the liberty and initially give the file that super-long url name, and that looks as if it may be tripping things up.  Are yiou using the plugin in your browser, or pasting the URL into Acrobat?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me exactly what process you used to create your PDF from the web?  I've discovered that there are two behaviors that occur, depending on the technique used to created/convert.  If you use the Adobe Acrobat plug-in, you get to name your resulting PDF right away.  But if you start in Acrobat and paste in the URL of the web page, that string can be too long, causing my machine to behave as yours did.

My bset,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the second option you describe. Is there a plug in for Firefox?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  Look to see if you have this icon showing in Firefox:

ffxplugin.png

It comes as part of the Acrobat Pro installation.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I do not see it, nor I can find it in the list of extensions. I access Adobe Acrobate Pro DC through Adobe Creative Cloud. Might that be the reason?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat Pro DC installed locally on your computer?  If so, you should have this available in your browser(s), I believe.

Best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do, but I cannot find the extension anywhere...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, I have tried to reach adobe support but it is just a waste of time: essentially non existent. Do you think you could help me further with this issue? Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try!  First off, here is my Extensions list in Firefox, showing what the plugin looks like in the list:

extensions.png

Do you have this showing as available, and maybe disabled?

Best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

My extension page looks like below. Adobe is definitely not there!

Also, I have noticed something weird. When I use 'create PDF from a web page' in Acrobat, while the file is not saved on my desktop, or whenever else I try to save it, if I do a search for the file name in File Explorer, I do find a shortcut to the 'ghost' file in c: users / myname / appdata / roaming / microsoft / windows / recentitems... But the shortcut does not lead to anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture was not uploaded...Firefox extensions.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching a picture of the results of my file search.

Search results.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a chance that Firefox was installed after the Adobe software?  I wonder if a Repair Installation would re-establish its presence in Firefox? (Help>Repair Installation in Acrobat Pro)

Fingers crossed.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the opposite is true. And I have already followed the repair installation three times without results (the last time right before writing this message)...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

I am having the same issue.  I had Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, icone with red outline.  It updated to black and white icon, and I can no longer save the "binder" that it creates when I combine a pdf and excel document.  I had no problem previously.  When I try to save, Adobe crashes and closes.  Unable to save.  It's frustrating.  We've repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled.  Same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paula,

Is your issue from attempting to create a PDF from a web page (in a browser window)?  You mentioned Excel - is this on the web?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

I generate a PDF invoice out of PeopleSoft.  Save it to a folder.  Go to combine the pdf and excel back-up sheet, then try to save the "binder" and Adobe closes.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm... I just tried the operation on my computer (Windows 10, and up-to-date Acrobat Pro DC).  My attempt worked properly.  You are selecting the two files from the OS (not inside of Acrobat)?  Normally I'd recommend a repair installation, but you've done that already.  Do you have the latest version of Acrobat (Help>Check for Updates...)?

My best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

I choose two files from a folder on my desktop.  I previously had Adobe Pro DC with the red outline icon.  It has since update to just the black and white icon, and i cannot save from the binder.  When I hit save, it closes down.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's precisely what I did, but on my machine/software, the process worked properly.  Other than restarting your computer (which I am presuming you have done), ensuring that all updates are performed (Acrobat & OS), I would ensure that the PDF you are using from PeopleSoft is viable and not problematic.  If you use a PDF created differently/another application, does the process still stall?

My best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply don't understand, that everything worked perfectly fine until Adobe updated.  I run the exact same process, create the same pdf, try to combine and it won't let me save the binder.  It literally closes out of adobe.  It makes no sense at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Dave__M LATEST
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - it must be frustrating for you!  These forums are frequented by Adobe staff, and maybe someone will be able to add to this discussion to help find a solution.

Are you on a computer maintained by a company's IT dept? Is the operating system up to date?  As stated earlier, with my up-to-date Acrobat, and Windows 10 updates installed (as of yesterday), mine is behaving.  If something comes to mind, I'll chime in again.

My best,

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0