• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on Mac freezes not long after opening, regardless of the file and even without

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per title

Mac OS 10.15.3 (latest version)

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.006.20034 (latest version)

The software freezes a few seconds after it opens. It happens with any and all PDF files and even happens if I open the application without a file.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software via the Creative Cloud app and it has made no different. The problem still occurs.

Any ideas/suggestions?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mrsteveholland,

Sorry for the inconvinience caused at your end. Can you please help me with the following details so that we can triage the issue better ;

Once the Acrobat Hangs again I will be needing the Spindump and Smaple Process for that hang state. Pleae make sure to take dumps and sample process at the time when acrobat is in hanged state. You will be able to find both these in the activity monitor after clicking on the Acrobat process and then click on Settings icon on top bar in activity monitor. 

Regards,

-Arpit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.  When I went into Activity Monitor, I noticed that the "Adobe Acrobat Synchronizer" process was also not responding.  I killed that process, and this issue went away.    (It immediately relaunched itself and appears to be functioning without any issues.)

It seems like Acrobat makes some sort of (blocking) callout to the Synchronizer process, so if that process has frozen, Acrobat will freeze too.

If it happens again, I'll try to get a process sample from it.  But I don't need or use the Synchronizer functionality, and killing it did indeed solve my immediate problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Wisq... that helped me to get functional on my end again. I have been troubleshooting this issue (getting Acrobat to work) for the last couple of hours to no avail, and killing the "Adobat Acrobat Synchronizer" really helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue and this was a great temporary fix. Im on 10.15.4 - 2018 MBP 15" 16GB RAM. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.006.20042 - Ill keep looking for a more permanent fix but this at least keeps it moving. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arpit, 

I'm running Acrobat Pro 2020 for Mac on OS 11.4. It's not a subscription version. Acrobat hangs when I try to Save or Save As... I have 68 "Recent hangs". Attached are the tests you requested.

Thanks very much for your help and I'm very willing to provide more information.

Lara S. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Acrobat DC totally unusable.  Hangs even opening a simple 1MB file.  Tested Preview and 'bang' opened in a second!  How do I fix it? Mac OS 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been ongoing and getting worse.  I have called Adobe for help, only to be told that the problem lies with the document and not the program.  However, I do not and have not experienced these problems with other pdf programs.  This problem has become so intolerable that I have resorted to using Google Chrome for opening up and reviewing pdf documents.  This is really pathetic and confirms that Adobe either (1) could care less about the quality of its program or (2) that the people responsible for maintaining and running Adobe are incompetent.  If anyone has any suggestions about better alternatives than using this problem, please post them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue. Onto a brnat new MacBook Pro M1 chip machine and still haveing the same lock up as the old MacBook. Come on Adobe???? You seriously need to figurte this out!! I cant do my daily work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott5EE1  

We are extremly sorry that you are facing this issue. We are unable to reproduce the issue in-house.  Can you please share the spin dumps and sample process when the Acrobat/Reader goes in a non responding state so that we can investigate it further.

Regards, 

Priyanka Jain 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar issue is happening for me. Every time I try to save a document after editing it freezes and I have to kill the program and my document doesnt save. What can I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.. Acrobat Pro 2020 Mac and System 11.2.2... everytime the app freezes when a document is edited, both when saving and if I try to email from Acrobat as well.. two visits to Customer Support have done NOTHING!!!

Updated, reistalled, no luck whatsoever

Case # ADB18283764G8Y1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem...Acrobat Pro 2020 running on a Mac mini (M1, 2020) with Big Sur 11.2.3.  Mine will usually work for 5-10 minutes and then freezes.  I've reinstalled Acrobat and run all updates with no luck.   Adobe, please help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a spin dump and what is a sample process? You've got to write in user-friendly language if you want the information to be able to help us fix your problem on our computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem and am extremely angry about it. 

I need an immediate fix or I want my money back. Spin Dump and Sample Process here attached. 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

macOS 11.5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to dump Adobe Acrobat on all my Macs and took the time to learn a bit about Apple "Preview"! It works fine and I can sign and annotate my docs with a bit more work. I must say that my Macs run flawlessly now. Bye bye Adobe! Sad you have not focused more on the Apple community. Clearly you have given up or these issues would not persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the status on this issue?  I have the exact same issue that came out of nowhere for the past 2 weeks and now Adobe Acrobat DC Pro is literally unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on a mac mini M1. It is really frustrating!! Anyone know Is there eny way to roll back to a previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found the solution! Adobe just change the way sign in works just recently (something regarding personal/bussness profiles) so I logged out of creative cloud app and then back in. Acrobat is not locking after startup anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: This was not a perminate solution. It seems the only way is to kill the "Adobat Acrobat Synchronizer" And that only last for a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC in my MacBook Air (M1) and have the same issue. The problem fixes if first you open Adoble Creative Cloud, log out your account and log in again. Now, open any PDF file and the program will not freeze. 

The problem is that if you open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC without refreshing your login the program does not synchronize properly with your account nor with the cloud so it freezes. That's why some people get it fixed by quitting the Adobe Cloud Synchronizer. 

Hope it helps! By the way, I don't really know why the **** anyone in the Support Team from Adobe is able to figure out this simple thing and why is this bug even happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has come back after 20min of use. I repeated logging out and in Adobe Creative Cloud and is working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct! I have noticed the same exact thing. Works for a little while after logging out. It is really frustrating that there is no fix so far.

Do you know if there is an offical bug report on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here, just started hanging.  Have updated, uninstalled, (I'm not stupid) restarted, logged into and out of the creative cloud and nothing.  Used to be my go-to .pdf, heck it was the best out there but not if it hangs.  Spent hours messing with it and am going to move on to something reliable.  Tried everything listed below.....zip.  Junk and not to be expected from Adobe.  They should be all over this...and no, it isn't the doc, it is non-responsive on EVERYTHING.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on my work MacBook. I saw this once before a month or so back and then suddenly it resolved itself. If this is related to cloud accounts, is there a chance that it's a server-side issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines