• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC "add text" to a PDF is doing weird things.

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, it often changes a - to a _ and will not correct.  I have to delete the text, save, close and reopen for it to fix itself.  Second, it now wants to type on top of itself in an empy line.  I have tried my above method of fixing and that doesn't even work.  What is the deal?  I had Adobe on my old computer and it worked fine.  I just had to add it to my brand new Windows computer and it works TERRIBLE!  It's constantly doing wierd things.  Even the way it saves documents is different.  And it keeps asking me questions about things I have no clue what it is talking about.  HELP!  I just want my old Adobe back!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melinda

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, Acrobat Pro DC > Add text is doing weird things and also it saves the documents differently.

What happens when you try to save the PDF? Please share the screen recording of the same for a better understanding.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 21.01.20145 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once and see if that helps.

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (Windows Only). Go to Help > Repair Installation

You may also try to rest the Acrobat preferences to default as described in the help page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... and see if that works.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 32-bit (perhaps I need 64?).  I'm not a techie, but I subscribe to Adobe, so I just though it would automatically update itself.  I'm not sure I understand the difference, but my computer says I have:

ACCESS

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Adobe Acrobat DC

Adobe Acrobat Distiller DC

Adobe Creative Cloud

All I know is that I have a PDF on my computer that I am trying to add text.  I have to click on "EDIT PDF" on the right side, and then I click "EDIT TEXT" on the top, and then I am able to put my curser where I want to type.  On this document, I have had zero issues except in the one spot, on this one line.  It will not type out - it types on top of itself.  Even if I copy and paste, it just puts all the text on top of the first letter.  I have closed it out, saved it, nothing changes.  It will not overcome this issue.  Do you know what it is doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot, it looks as if you are adding new text on top of existing text.  I am a little confused what you're trying to do.  Do you want to edit the existing text on the page?  Is it possible that the PDF has an image of text, not editable text?  If so, that could explain the issue.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there was no text there to begin with.  Like I said, this is the only place on the form I'm having an issue with.  I took a document that was restricted and clicked PRINT, then saved it as a PDF.  I open the PDF and it allows me to ADD TEXT.  Now, to get to that button "ADD TEXT"; I have to first click on EDIT PDF, then and only then does the ADD TEXT button show up.  I click on where I want the text and start to add.  In this one case on the form it types on top of itself.  To my knowledge, there was nothing there previously.  It was a blank form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's something to try, if it is different than your attempted action...

Instead of clicking with the Add Text tool, draw a box with it to create an appropriately-sized container for the text.  Then type in the text box. This might stop the text from overlapping on itself. 

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines