• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Rasterizing a PDF?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you rasterize a pdf in acrobat pro DC to fix a font problem in our print servers?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try printing as image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export a PDF as one or multiple image files using File>Export To>Image>... This will rasterize the individual pages, and you can then import those pages again, which converts them to a PDF again.

As Bernd suggested, at print time, you can select the "Print as Image" function, which is available after you select the "Advanced" button:

2017-03-02_09-39-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the opposite problem. How can I export as a PDF in Adobe Acrobat DC wthout rasterizing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

????  What are you “exporting” PDF to and how are you doing this?

When you normally save a PDF file that conctains non-raster data, i.e. text and vector data, simply saving the PDF file doesn't do any rasterizing.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do nothing it save fine.

My real problem is that in my PDF there is extra art that was never removed because AI includes it when I save. I need to break out my art into multiple art boards for my CNC machine.

So when I go to remove the hidden data it does finally get it to the right size it's just now rasterized.

I just need to know how to actually crop the PDF and remove the extra lines.

See here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-crop-svg-amp-pdf/m-p/11123646?page=1#M176445

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read many times in these forums lately, Adobe Acrobat is not an image editor. So the term rasterizing here... I am not sure about that.

If resolution issues are a concern why not save the file as encapsulated postscript (.eps) directly from Illustrator; then open the .eps directly in Acrobat Pro to convert it to PDF?

Instead of rasterizing vectorize it. 

Since I don't think you're artwork will get impact too dramatically with this other suggestion,  I don't see why saving to .eps wouldn't make sense.  Even saving to a postscripted would make sense to me.  

But after taking a look at the link that you provided here, I think that the problem that you're having happens when you use the Print to Image or Save As Image method as suggested.

You could've also use  the Optimizer and deal yourself with merging or removing layers and other embedded objects in that PDF.

But overall, I think the main problem is that when you use these methods alone, Acrobat will treat the resulting image document as as  a scanned documment.

If you try to make any changes using the "Prepare Form" tool you'll get stuck in a loop which forces the user to Save As new PDF (again!).   And if  you try to use the "Edit PDF" tool, then you get stuck in another interesting loop, by which Acrobat runs the  PDF Optimizer automatically (and over and over and over again!  --- even if you turn off the damn feature).

And every single time this feature runs automatically it converts the "OCR'ed" image into a searchable Image; thus, forcing alternate text and background elements to it.

It degrades the quality of everything and breaks everything up even more.   If this is what is happening to you?

If your answer is yes, keep in mind that up to this point  the file hasn't been refried entirely (or like "Document Geek  would coin the term"flattenized" ).

If you're going to use the  Print to Image method, you're missing one more step.

Click on File --->>"Save As Other" --->>> "Reduced size PDF"  and save this file as a postscript file (.ps)

Then open the resulting postscripted file directly in Acrobat and it will convert it back to PDF automatically but this time you won't get the annoying elements that you're referring to. 

Every visual aspect of that file  will be now be in  a single (flat)  layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. What I think is being missed here is the "why". The discussion of what Acrobat can do, how it will treat graphics, vectorize instead of rasterize, etc. is great but there are instaces –and for me that's aboyt 60% of the time– when I really, really want the PDF to be as far away from vectors as practicable and as ruined as possible if someone wants to use the Edit fucntion (and I am trying hard not to get into the Edit vs. Comment dicussion and how Adobe has done a poor job –to put it mildly- educating users on the difeerences between those (no, people, this is NOT MS Word!), and where to find and use the Comment tools properly). Anyhow, I'd love to be able to generate a fully rasterized, no-vectors-at-all PDF from InDesign and Illustrator with a single option to turn on or off. Thanks. A.C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, if you never heard of the French term (or phrase) : "The quiche culture"

Now you have it.

It is basically calling a person stupid, but mainly referring to an entire social crowd as superflous, shallow, artificial, and very bad at something.

That is exactly what software advertising and marketing campaigns produce in the consumers brain: a quiche culture.

In fact,  it is so damn bad and out of proportion,  to the point that consumers can't decide on their own no more because they've lost any ability to think critically as to be able to come up with their own desicions by applying common sense in the first place.

But worst, and above all,  because of the obsesive compulsions induced by all the hype in the media.

It woul be like fishermen chuming the waters to attract sharks at the beach right there by the shore (that's your media and their marketing campaigns). And the people that continue swim and enjoy the chummed waters,  which also doesn't care about the fishermen activities just about 20 yards away from them.(the average computer users who don't care to read and learn about the expensive software they chose to pay for)...  That  would be a perfect analogy of a quiche culture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines