Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - Unable to select text

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, in several versions of Adobe Acrobat pro (X, XI, DC), I have had an unusual text selection problem.  This seems to occur in documents printed with Acrobat, or scanned documents with recognized text.

The problem is that when trying to select the text in a document, the cursor changes to a tall version that selects a span of about 15 lines tall.  It is impossible to simply select one word. 

If the content is copied, the result is gibberish - like raw code.

This seemed to happen recently, and simultaneously in multiple copies of Acrobat Pro after a recent update.

Any ideas how to correct this?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JGreg7  wrote

Recently, in several versions of Adobe Acrobat pro (X, XI, DC), I have had an unusual text selection problem.  This seems to occur in documents printed with Acrobat, or scanned documents with recognized text.

Who did the OCR and with what settings?

If the user chose Searchable Image, that is what you get. The image is is front and this is great for law offices and archival purposes where they need to search the PDF but it is not selectable or editable.

If you OCR and choose Editable, Acrobat converts it to editable text with a typeface and may change the original look of the document.

Does that help?

Open two copies of the same scanned image and OCR it twice with different settings and compare to see the difference.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I have the same problem with not being able to select text because I can only use the circular cursor.  I want to highlight important pdfs but not be able to change anything in the pdf.  I have legal documents that must be the original text and format. I just would like to highlight some text, add notes or comments, and add bookmarks to long pdfs.  I would like to be able to print the document without or with my highlights, notes, bookmarks.  I work for the Chief of Police and need the documents to be authentic.

I noticed, JGreg7, that you said "If the user chose Searchable Image, that is what you get. The image is is front and this is great for law offices and archival purposes where they need to search the PDF but it is not selectable or editable.".  So if I choose OCR for editing, will I not be able to search the document?  And if I choose OCR Searchable Image, I can search but I can't highlight, add comments or notes or add bookmarks? 

Our town has just upgraded from Acrobat Pro 2017 to Acrobat Pro DC and am struggling to highlight text. 

Thanks 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been having the same issue for quite a while, if I understand the problem as stated. The cursor selects large blocks of the document instead of the text, and copying and pasting gives gibberish. This has been happening on web pages that I print as PDF with Acrobat Pro - no OCR involved. I've tried IE, Edge, and Chrome and all have the same issue. (I can "save as PDF" from the browser and the resulting documents are fine - text can be selected - but I prefer to print in greyscale, through the print dialog, using Acrobat.)

I've found that if I use Adobe to print the document a second time as a PDF, the text is selectable on the second version. Try opening a bad document, press Ctrl-P, select Adobe as the printer, give it a unique name, and see if the new file works.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing has been happening to me as well -- large cursor appears with a large blue block of selection, instead of individual text selected. Yes, re-printing it to PDF does fix the problem and I am now able to select individual words, so thanks for the tip! However, wish there was a more permanent fix for this. We shouldn't have to do this.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have updated my posting from February as I discovered recently that my "solution" doesn't work. After reprinting the PDF, it APPEARS that you can select text, but if you copy and paste into a document, it's still gibberish. I had just assumed it was selecting the text properly, but it's not. Sorry about that.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Started last week.  Tried reinstalling program.  Still not working.  This is making the program virtually useless for my work.  Tried the suggests above, but no luck.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone posted a solution to the issue above yet?

help greatly appeciated as this issue is becoming extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been wrestling with just trying to select single lines of text, it will only select groups.  All I want to do is highlight a single line of text it should not be this difficult.  It used to work seamlessly. I have tried doing this in the online Acrobat, in Acrobat Pro, and Acrobat Reader.  Very frustrating. I'm a teacher and ever since my district purchased seperate Acrobat licensing the program no longer works.  Even though I have the full blown CC license thorough the district.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines