• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro XI - Is there an Action to set "FitPage" zoom to all bookmarks?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I routinely combine several PDF documents into a single PDF. During the combine process, bookmarks are created, however the zoom levels apparently vary according to the source documents.

I have the default set to FitPage, however this does not seem to filter down to the bookmark when combining the PDF.

I also use an Action created under the Action Wizard to perform some other modification to the combined file including a java script to change the bookmark, however, when I run the java script for the bookmarks, it only changes the first one.
Java script: [this.zoomType=zoomtype.fitP;]

Is there a way to select all of the bookmarks to set the zoom level?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no easy or reliable way to do this with a script. There just aren't enough scripting options for bookmarks. However, it could be done with a simple plug-in. I have written many similar plug-ins to assist in automating processes in Acrobat. 

PM me if you are interested in having such a plug-in written.  

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  

However, I am looking for something that is already available (or a hint of how to write this myself). 

This bookmark zoom question has been posted in various forms in many places, so it seems that there is a desire to be able to control the bookmark zoom.

So far, the methods are mostly manual by selecting the bookmarks and adding either a java script, or additional action to the selected bookmarks.  While this is effective, it would be so much more convenient if it could be incorporated into the existing Action Wizard script.

This seems like it is a good example of preparing an Action Wizard item or some type of java script.  (we do these in Word frequently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add new Action commands with a plug-in. So it goes back to writing a plug-in.

One way to control the zoom for a new bookmark is to follow this process for the creation of each and every bookmark.

1. Navigate to the page to be bookmarked.

2. Set the desired zoom and position on the page.

3. Create a new bookmark. 

These actions can be automated with a script. But there are reliability issues because option #3 is performed by executing a menu item, and there is no guarenttee that the execution will complete before the next line of script is run. It's much better to write a plug-in for this type of thing. It's something I've done many times. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on a Mac, it is easy using AppleScript Editor. I have a script that will change the zoom level of 
all the bookmarks in the active Acrobat document to "FitPage". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned, doing it in Acrobat is not easy, if at all possible, which is why I've created this (paid-for) stand-alone tool that allows you to do it: http://try67.blogspot.com/2011/12/batch-edit-zoom-level-in-bookmarks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines