• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat removing the file extension when saving files.

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a lot of digital fillable pdf files for my students and to sell. 

I create my pdf with PowerPoint then add the fillable cells with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, then I save the file with a new name to indicate that it is digital and fillable. This has been working seamlessly for months. 

Today every time I save a pdf file that I added the fillable cells to, Adobe Acrobat saves the file without the "pdf" extension and cuts a few letters off the file name. This is extremely frustrating. I end up with a weird blank file that is not automatically read by my computer. Instead of the normal white rectangle with "pdf" on it, I get a blank white rectangle that has to be associated with a program in order to open it. 

Can anyone help me? I tried online support with Adobe but I am pretty sure the person helping me is misunderstanding my issue because their advice was to change printing and my font. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to restart your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the exact version number of the application (You can find it out by going to Help - About Adobe Acrobat)? What's your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melanief

++ Adding to the discussion

What is the workflow/steps you are doing to save the PDF file?

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the latest version 20.12.20048 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work, please try to repair the installation (Windows Only) and reboot the computer again. Go to Help > Repair Installation.

You may also try to reset the preferences as described in the help page https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... and see if that makes any difference.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat DC. The version I have now is version 20.12.20064, I am still having the same issue. 

when I am finished working on a pdf I select "save as" then I add "digital" to the name and save in the folder. It appears to save normally, no error messages but when I go to view the file in the folder, the pdf extension is removed and the rectangle icon is completely white. I have to select which program to open it with instead of the file automatically opening as it has in the past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

CAn you upload a screen shot of the save as dialog (before you click save but after you have changed the name), and the explorer window containing the file?

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines