• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat slows down computer (Windows 10)

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every now and then, my computer (A Surface Pro (2017) running Windows 10) slows down considerably; i.e. it becomes very slow at responding to input, so that scrolling down a page in Word or some other program, for example, takes much more time than normal. The problem is solved by closing Adobe Acrobat. Has anyone else come across this? And why would it happen? I mean, how come the flagship of such a big and reputable software maker as Adobe contains such an annoying bug? Is there any way to solve the problem, other than not running Abobe Acrobat?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed instructions! However, as chance would have it, no sooner did I get your reply, then Microsoft decided to update the operative system. It seems as if that update might have solved this long-standing issue for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll post again, if the problem returns.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bjarne j-s,

Based on the issue description mentioned above, computer is running slow after launching Acrobat, is that correct?

Please try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Check if an update is available for Acrobat using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, reboot the machine after installing update and try again. You may also download updates from here: Adobe software and product updates

2- If that doesn't help, try resetting preferences for Acrobat using the steps given in this link: How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat. , reboot the machine after reset and try again.

3- Try disabling Protected View by clicking Edit menu > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > select Off under Protected View > click OK. Relaunch Acrobat and check.

Note: Disabling protected view is for troubleshooting purpose only, and not recommended. Please turn the feature back on after troubleshooting is complete.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed instructions! However, as chance would have it, no sooner did I get your reply, then Microsoft decided to update the operative system. It seems as if that update might have solved this long-standing issue for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll post again, if the problem returns.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same issues. The program will be fine until one month later and slows everything down to an utter stop on my computer so I had to uninstall it and everything works smoothly again. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the exact version number of the application? What's your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am sorry, but why do I get a feeling that the answers given below are meant to obfuscate? I face similar issues- all anti-virus/ systems check apps identify Acrobat Reader as the no 1 app gulity of slowing down my PC. This is not one anti-virus/ systems check app stating so, but all the ones I have installed, checked and uninstalled have said so. The answers don not appear to address the issue, which is about why Acrobat Reader should slow a PC, even when no PDF files are bing read or used? Speaks poorly of a company that employs some of the finest brains in the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines