• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat X crashing a few seconds after being open

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently when I open any document in Acrobat, I can examine it for a few minutes before the app crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Creative Suite cs6 multiple times, and the app does the same thing.

Acrobat version 10.1.1

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 on a Macbook Air

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

You should start by installing all available updates up to 10.1.16, which is the latest Acrobat X version released.

You can find them here: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/10.x/

Keep in mind that Acrobat X is an old and outdated application, not compatible with any current OS, including yours, so problems are to be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should start by installing all available updates up to 10.1.16, which is the latest Acrobat X version released.

You can find them here: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/10.x/

Keep in mind that Acrobat X is an old and outdated application, not compatible with any current OS, including yours, so problems are to be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I didn't know there were updates beyond my version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This really fixed the problem!
ps: this also works for windows: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/10.x/10.1.16/misc/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't open it... What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? The link? The file? Be more specific, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was really helpful. Thanks a ton...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can open the link. It's a blank link. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Can't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can no longer open FTP sites in most browsers, unfortunately. You have to use a dedicated FTP client application. If you're on Windows try SmartFTP or Filezilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the link.  Sorry I'm new to FTP.  I downloaded SMART FTP (windows) and I managed to log in  to ftp.adobe.com.  I don't suppose you could tell me how I find the update files from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The full path is listed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I tried so many things and had the same problem of my Acrobat Pro quiting in my CS6 Master Suite version and this link fixed it. It did say that it was an outdated certificate, but regardless the bottom line is that it fixed the problem...fabulous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I installed Acrobat update 10.1.16 on my Mojave Version of my iMac Pro. with the Adobe Creative suite CS6 on the Acrobat Pro...thank you all. Now I need to get resolution for my Lightroom 6 to reinstall it.  It curently will not open. I am going to try to install it from the original disc again. 

I have had to reinstall everything from the discs because somehow my Time Machine that is on an external drive is corrputed. Bad news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and tried a ton of different fixes. Finally got Acrobat X to stay open without crashing. 
I'm not sure if it was a single fix or a combination that did it, so to be safe I'll list all of them, starting with most recent.

For a lot of people, attempting to click help - update worked, but I don't have that option. I have repair installation but it didn't work. I'm on 10.1.2 and never did figure out how to update it.

Here's what I did:

• Went into my list of services (click start, type services.msc) and found Adobe Updater service. Stopped and disabled it.

• Unchecked "show me messages when I launch acrobat" under preferences, general.

• Disabled "Enable enhanced security" under preferences, security (enhanced).

• There may exist in other versions a similar security setting, 'launch in protected mode' which I've disabled in the past to work around various problems.

• Run regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\(version)\FeatureLockDown, create a new value called bDisableFrequentSignInWorkflow (reg DWORD), set the value to 0.

• In the same area of the registry, FeatureLockDown, create a new key called cServices (new key means new 'subfolder' under FeatureLockDown). Within that key (on the right) create a new value called bToggleAdobeDocumentServices. Set this value to 1. Then create several other values.

bToggleAdobeSign (DWORD, set it to 1)
bTogglePrefSync (DWORD, set it to 1)

bUpdater (DWORD, set it to 0)

This last one might be crucial. If the crashing is caused by an attempted update or failed update, I think the last registry entry tells acrobat to not attempt updates. It might be that you need both that reg. entry and also to disable the update service.

Hope it helps others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked very well for Acrobat XI! Thanks a ton!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not that bad pointing users to ftp link where to find all sorts of folders, above all some file required actually being  .msp file. Easy for  some tech savvy to install, right? But for someone who just want their damn Acrobat to stop crashing due to update issues or end of life support issues, all they need is some clear help from this community.

Having said the above, for anyone still facing this issue, you may quickly launch acrobat and before it crashes, under *Help* button in the menu bar, last iterm is *Check for Updates*, you will get lucky and your system will pull the damn 10.1.16 update and start to install automatically. Your problem might be solved! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thomas, worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I have the same problem and solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled and installed the program SEVERAL times. I have ALL the updates. Sometimes it would work for a few days and then stop responding again, but what a pain in the ass! I just did what you suggested. I quickly hit Help, then Check for Updates.... the response was that I am already fully updated, but then it just started working again! THANK YOU, @thomaskapena!  And now for the ongoing saga in the love-hate relationship with Adobe. Let's see how long this part lasts. 😊🤞🏼:hibiscus:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Acrobat Pro X as well for Windows, using "check for updates" as soon as the app opened. It worked!!! Thank you to those who suggested this idea! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac with the launch crash on OS 10.13.6, the simplest thing was to clik on the link below, connect as "Guest", clik on the server in the left-hand column of the finder window. This shows the files on the ftp site. Open 10.x folder, then 10.1.16. folder, then Misc folder. Drag the AcrobatUp10116.pkg to the desktop. From there, double clik and follow instructions. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the other FTP links aren't available, you could try this official Adobe source with alternative FTP links, for both Mac and Windows updaters to Acrobat version 10.1.16.

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/10/10.1.16.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines