• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat XI will "Convert to PDF" a Word DOCX but not a DOC file from Explorer context menu

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am setting up my new computer, running Windows 10 (Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.867). Due to certain requirements, I have to use Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.23).

I have reinstalled Adobe Acrobat XI and applied the 11.0.23 patch and I get the same results described below. I have searched this forum, but haven't found any solutions that work. I have tried to Manually install the PDF Printer and removing some setting in the registry. Neither worked. I'm hoping someone has another solution for me to try so I can get this working.

On my old system, running the same configuration of Windows, Word and Adobe Acrobat XI, I am able to convert both DOC and DOCX files to PDF by right clicking on them in File Explorer and choosing Convert to PDF, by going to Word and choosing Create PDF from the Adobe menu in Word, or opening Adobe Acrobat and choosing Create PDF from File. Using the File Explorer option is the easiest when I am trying to convert multipe documents.

On my NEW computer, I can only convert Word documents to PDF by choosing Create PDF from the Adobe menu in Word OR by right clicking in File Explorer, but the right click option ONLY converts DOCX files. For DOC files, I do not get a Convert to PDF option.

When I try to Create PDF from File in Acrobat XI itself, DOC or DOCX files do not show up in the Open dialog box when looking at All Supported Formats. If I choose *.doc OR *.docx and then try to open a DOC or DOCX file, I get the message Acrobat could not open 'My Document.docx' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged... This method works fine on my old computer.

Below is what the Acrobat Edit -> Preferences -> Convert To PDF section looks like on my OLD computer. On the new computer, Word is missing from this list.

stevef90869238_0-1616245711813.png

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any comments on this? I am still having the issue and have not found a solution yet. Can anyone from Adobe Support offer some help? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat XI is an old and unsupported version. It's also not officially compatible with the latest versions of Windows 10 and Office, so such issues (especially those related to integration with the OS) are to be expected.

If you have the latest version of Acrobat XI (11.0.23) and are running it in Compatibility Mode with an earlier OS (like Windows 7), or by using the Microsoft Compatibility Administrator tool, then there's not much else that can be done.

If you want it working correctly you need to get a new, up-to-date, version of the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines