• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Fill and Sign no longer protects from edit?

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started creating adobe forms that can be filled in and signed remotely - helpful when most of our staff are working from home at the moment. When I first started setting up the forms (April 2020), adding a signature would lock existing fields and text, and the only way to edit would be to cross through and add free floating text (essentially same security as a paper document). Now however even a saved form with signature applied is editable - up to and including existing fields, completed text, radio buttons and signatures! This is no security at all. What can I do to protect these forms from editing once a signature has been applied? Example below showing where all fields are still editable.

Florabean_0-1591706593409.png

TOPICS
PDF forms , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use a real Digital Signature field. Fill & Sign is nothing more than a comment, not a real signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering why Adobe changed how fill & sign worked? It used to flatten the file on signing an saving (unless I'm mistaken, but that's what I recall and what previous searches in this community seem to say). The only workaround, short of paying for Sign, seems to be to flatten the file as a JPG or similar type. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You need to use a real Digital Signature field. Fill & Sign is nothing more than a comment, not a real signature."

This is no longer true.

See this document signed using Fill&Sign, form fields and layout are not editable: https://na1.documents.adobe.com/public/fs?aid=CBFCIBAA3AAABLblqZhBKwTCypt-pO3lcindqVrCFRWK8R_PhJTP17...

Fill&Sign.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is signed using Adobe Sign. Is that a part of the Fill & Sign toolbar now? If so, then yes, this is a "real" signature. It can still be edited, of course, but that would invalidate the signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a part of the Fill & Sign tools (also available in Reader).

No, you cannot edit signed files with Acrobat Pro DC:

Fill&sign3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Florabean I guess I understood your issue: you must not send the original PDF saved on your computer. You must send the link (Get a link) given by Fill&Sign, or use "Send a read-only copy".

Fill&Sign2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank for both for commenting! The problem seemed to be that I hadn't converted the document to an Adobe Form but was rather relying on automatically detected fields after I converted the document from Word to PDF. When I covert to Adobe Form and set signature fields the form does appear to lock for other users, but I can still edit elements filled and sigend by others. Is this purely because I am the document author? Is there a way to lock the form so that I can't edit any completed fields as well? As QA I usually put on the final approval and need any input data to be locked at that point.

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines