Highlighted

Adobe Form. Locking a Duplicate Field

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a form where I have duplicated fields. Say I have 5 "copies" of a field in my form, I want the user to be able to fill in field 1 which will populate fields 2 - 5, but I want fields 2 - 5 to be locked so that they can't be typed over.

It would also be beneficial to have the "hover over" instruction be different for field 2 - 5, eg instruction for field 1: "add detail here to populate fields 2 - 5" and instrcution for fields 2 - 5: "complete field 1 to populate this field."

I am new to Adobe and have been self teaching so have very little coding skills, so simple soluions or easy to follow instructions would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Form. Locking a Duplicate Field

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a form where I have duplicated fields. Say I have 5 "copies" of a field in my form, I want the user to be able to fill in field 1 which will populate fields 2 - 5, but I want fields 2 - 5 to be locked so that they can't be typed over.

It would also be beneficial to have the "hover over" instruction be different for field 2 - 5, eg instruction for field 1: "add detail here to populate fields 2 - 5" and instrcution for fields 2 - 5: "complete field 1 to populate this field."

I am new to Adobe and have been self teaching so have very little coding skills, so simple soluions or easy to follow instructions would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Name fields differently, then you can set fields 2-5 read only and use this code in each field (2-5) as custom calculation script:

event.value = this.getField("Text1").value;

change "Text1" name to your field you wish to copy value from.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will overwrite the instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Bernd what do you mean exactly?

I tested and it works fine unless I'm missing something?

Can you pls check file on link below?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1moc0TUy40x0ppVQNo7pqz41Z3eTeVZpI 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this sample, I enhanced NesaNurani's file to manage instructions:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:592a6248-eb8e-4d8b-8e48-d4ac3a703cb2

It uses this script in fields 2-5:

if (this.getField("Text1") != null && this.getField("Text1").value != "") {
event.target.value = this.getField("Text1").value;
event.target.textColor = color.black;
}
else {
event.value = "Complete field 1 to populate this field";
event.target.textColor = color.ltGray;
}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will copy the instruction of field 1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my sample, instructions for field 1 are in the tooltip since this field is not readonly.
But maybe you have something better to offer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you a tooltip?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they are made for this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JR Boulay I somehow overlooked part where OP asked for instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else has issues with forum posts this post is diff then before it's like half of it was missing?

Or was it edited?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0