• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF Form Have a Text Field that keeps Turning itself Hidden

Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my text fields in my PDF form keeps turning Hidden.  I can switch it back to Visible but at some future time for no apparent reason it decides to go Hidden again.  

Clearly this will be a problem once the form is relaeased into the wild.

Any one know the reason for this and how to fix it?

If needed I can just make a new field and renter all the scripts but would rather not, and alos would like to not repeat this error in the future.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Thanks ls_rbls,

Yes indeed this field was the parent for a "create multiple copies"   It won't be the first field had to redo from scratch because of wonkieness, learnign about field wide values now.

I'm going to post on some other wonkieness realted to the "create multiple copies" but in that case it actually worked to my advantage.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey XML,

Have you double-checked if this field is duplciated, like have the same name of another field that is set to hidden?

Also, check if the custom calculation script in that field has the appropriate variables declared and that it match the appropriate IF/ELSEconditions (if any).

You may share your code here so that the developers in the community can assist you, or share part of the PDF file if you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ls_rbls,  good ideas,

Checked on the field duplication, visually and under the field tabs order section.  Noticed if you have two of the same name it appends a #1, #2 etc.

Removed all the scripts and just kept a default value of 1 in options to have something to see.  So no code in the field 😞

I was thinking maybe somewhere there is an action turning the field hidden.  Is there a way to check show/hide fields in triggers globally?   I would really not want to look at all the buttons one at a time...I have well over 40 such..but will.  Started checking the suspect buttons.  Looking for somehting that hides this field on mouse exit.

However, I don't think a show/hide field should reset the "Common Properties" under General Properties to Hidden.  Am I wrong on this?

Details: The field is named "A" and it shoulde be Visible, Ready Only but changes to Hidden, Read Only for reasons can't comprehend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can confirm that this also has nothing to do with calculation order, I would delete that field completely. 

Then create a new field from scratch, do not use a copy and paste method from another field, and do not use "Create Multpiple Copies.

Create this textfield object from scratch and add your script to it.

If the problem happens again , then the problem  must be related to the script itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ls_rbls,

Yes indeed this field was the parent for a "create multiple copies"   It won't be the first field had to redo from scratch because of wonkieness, learnign about field wide values now.

I'm going to post on some other wonkieness realted to the "create multiple copies" but in that case it actually worked to my advantage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Up

So creating a new field from scratch did not work in my case but renaming the field did work.  The field was origianlly called "A" and renamed it "A1".    As the value of  "A" was not used by any other field this was an easy fix as could copy all the script from "A" into "A1" and things worked fine.

Still a mystery to me what was up with this auto changing, usually but not always upon closing then reopening the document,  the Visible to Hidden setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines