• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF Printer Error Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When converting web pages and MS Office documents to PDFs by going to the print menu and choosing Adobe PDF results in a PDF being created but gives a "Error - Printing" message and leaves a document in the queue which prevents the computre from going to sleep.  In a browser or MS Office app if I click on the Adobe menu and select convert document or web page to PDF the operation is normal.  If I go to print and select Microsoft Print to PDF it creates a PDF without issue.  The issue only occurs when selecting Adobe PDF from the print menu.  I am looking for a fix or a work around.  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

There's a real simple fix for this. It's an issue with Acrobat or Windows identifying/assigning an incorrect port to the printer. I had the exact same problem and corrected it just a moment ago.

Go to Settings - Printers & scanners and click on Adobe PDF, then click Manage. Next, click Printer properties. This will open the Adobe PDF Properties window. Click the Ports tab and clear the box for port "COM1." Next, scroll down and select "Documents\*.pdf" (the description will show "Adobe PDF"). Cl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mjb

We are sorry for the trouble. As described above you are getting "Error - Printing" message when creating PDF from the print menu.

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat DC installed? To check the version of the application please use the help article  - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html

A new version of the Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC is now available. version 19.21.20058make sure you have the new version go to Help > Check for Updates.

For more information about the new patch please use the link  - https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Also, try to reset the preferences to default as described in the article here (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of  Acrobat.  I reset the preferences to default as described and installed the patch.  The issue still exists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are sorry to hear that the issue still exists. We need some more details for a better understanding.

• Would you mind sharing the exact workflow or steps you are doing that leads you to this error? 
  • Do you have Adobe Acrobat DC or Adobe Reader installed? Also, please share the screenshot of the issue or error message you are experiencing.

A new version of Adobe Acrobat /Reader is now available. version 19.21.20061. Please update the application to the new version. You may also, manually download the patch using the link here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is up to date. Acrobat Printer Error.jpgAcrobat installed, print document with “CTRL P” or “File – Print” and select printer Adobe PDF.  Acrobat will create a PDF but there is an error message “Error printing on Adobe PDF. Could not print (document name).” Documents are left in the print queue that must be manually canceled.

If I create a PDF with the program plug-in the PDF is created without printer error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that the issue still persists. Please make sure that the printer driver and firmware is up to date. Also, please try to remove and reinstall the printer driver an check.

You may also try the troubleshooting steps provided in the link here: https://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333236.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reread my post. The problem is not with a printer it is how Acrobat handles print to pdf.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are sorry for the confusion. 

Please try the troubleshooting steps provided in the link here: https://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333236.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a real simple fix for this. It's an issue with Acrobat or Windows identifying/assigning an incorrect port to the printer. I had the exact same problem and corrected it just a moment ago.

Go to Settings - Printers & scanners and click on Adobe PDF, then click Manage. Next, click Printer properties. This will open the Adobe PDF Properties window. Click the Ports tab and clear the box for port "COM1." Next, scroll down and select "Documents\*.pdf" (the description will show "Adobe PDF"). Click OK and try printing a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrewh,

Thanks for sharing your observation around this issue. It will certainly help the other users experiencing a similar issue.  

@ mjb Please try the suggestion provided and see if that works for you.

Keep us posted with your results.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks andrewh,

That is the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so happy it worked! Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are glad that the issue got fixed 

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrewh,

That worked!  This has been a perpetual thorn in my side, but I finally have the solution, thanks to you!  One small detail though:  I was not able to clear (uncheck) the COM1 port first, but checking the Documents\*.pdf first did the trick.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Ive been having the same problem. Unfortunately, I don't see the "Documents\*.pdf" option in the ports tab. Do you know how I can't rectify this to apply this fix? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

See if this might help first: Click the Ports tab and clear the box for port "COM1. Then, try a test print and let's see if that corrects things. If not, and you've scroll down through the list of ports and don't see "Documents\*pdf" (it might be the very last port in the list) then I'd suggest reinstalling Acrobat and see if that adds the port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrewh,

Thank you so much for letting me know how to fix this PDF Printer issue in Acrobat Pro 2020! This is extremely important to us because we use the printer for our daily work in CAD software.

Indeed, the actual Acrobat Pro 2020 installer faultily sets the printer port to "COM1" instead of "Documents\*.pdf". So you have to access the Windows Print Management console to manually add the correct port via "Ports -> Add Port -> New Port Type" and select the "AdobePDF.inf" file from the driver. This would be unpardonable alone, but there's more: it seems "AdobePDF.inf" file from the original Acrobat Pro 2020 installer doesn't work! We had to unpack the files from our old Acrobat Pro 2017 installer and use that *.INF file for the path to have the port work.

This goes without mentioning that Windows Home edition owners can't even apply this fix because Home editions don't have the Print Management console integrated. I haven't found a way to add/ access the console to this day on Windows Home machines.

I really wish Adobe would pay more attention to user's problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem, and the port change fixed it. I hadn't created a pdf in a few weeks, but my default printer had been reset to another printer on my system. This had to have been caused by a Windows 10 patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe PDF printer port settings were reset as well.  As you say, most likley a Windows or Adobe update and knowing what I know now it is easy to reset.  What I have discovered if I want to create a PDF using "Ctrl P"  "Microsoft Print To PDF" does a much better job than "Adobe PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat DC pro, the latest version, running on a brand new machine with the latest version of Win 10 as of March 21, is total junk!  Buggy as hell.  Crashes during printing.  OCR doesn't work.  Constantly on chat with tech support who are completely incompetent and slow as molasses.  I think the time for Adobe has come to an end!  I will be looking for a competitor!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered that the further you go down the rabbit hole, the more isolated you become. Obviously, updating to a supported version of Adobe Acrobat during this decade isn't a choice, otherwise you would have done so. Acrobat 9 is a vulnerable pos, and it should be removed. Wishing you luck!

Remove all printers as well. Is it possible to print to an Adobe PDF printer? That's fantastic. Reinstall the printers one at a time, testing each one until you find the culprit. Then try every driver for that printer available until you find one that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem, and the port change fixed it. Thank you everyone. Very helpful printing guides and comments here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing is working

still wont print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What version of Windows are you on? Since I switched to Windows 11, the PDF Printer is working.

Indeed, on Windows 10 and older, the Acrobat Pro 2020 installer faultily sets the printer port to "COM1" instead of "Documents\*.pdf". So you have to access the Windows Print Management console to manually add the correct port via "Ports -> Add Port -> New Port Type" and select the "AdobePDF.inf" file from the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines