Highlighted

Adobe PDF Printer Missing Fix - Adobe Acrobat 8.1 - Vista

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Type "C:\Windows\inf" into the search box on the start menu.
2. Locate the INFCACHE.1 file and right-click it and select Properties.
3. On the INFCACHE.1 Properties window tab to the "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button to change permissions on this file.
4. On the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window click the "Add" button.
5. On the Select Users or Groups window click the "Advanced" button.
6. A new Select Users or Groups window will open and then click the "Find Now" button.
7. The search results are sorted alphabetically; locate the username you logon to Windows with and then double-click.
8. Under the "Enter the objects names to select..." you should see something like this YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Yourusername
9. Now click the OK button.
10. You will now return to the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window.
11. Under the Permissions for Yourusername you need to tick "Full Control" under the Allow column. Click the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.
12. You will be prompted with a "Windows Security" window, just click the "Yes" button and continue.
13. Delete the INFCACHE.1 file.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Open Adobe Acrobat 8.1
16. Locate the Help menu item and click Repair Acrobat Installation
17. Restart if requested to do so.

This fix worked on Windows Vista Business Edition (32-Bit).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Type "C:\Windows\inf" into the search box on the start menu.
2. Locate the INFCACHE.1 file and right-click it and select Properties.
3. On the INFCACHE.1 Properties window tab to the "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button to change permissions on this file.
4. On the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window click the "Add" button.
5. On the Select Users or Groups window click the "Advanced" button.
6. A new Select Users or Groups window will open and then click the "Find Now" button.
7. The search results are sorted alphabetically; locate the username you logon to Windows with and then double-click.
8. Under the "Enter the objects names to select..." you should see something like this YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Yourusername
9. Now click the OK button.
10. You will now return to the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window.
11. Under the Permissions for Yourusername you need to tick "Full Control" under the Allow column. Click the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.
12. You will be prompted with a "Windows Security" window, just click the "Yes" button and continue.
13. Delete the INFCACHE.1 file.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Open Adobe Acrobat 8.1
16. Locate the Help menu item and click Repair Acrobat Installation
17. Restart if requested to do so.

This fix worked on Windows Vista Business Edition (32-Bit).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this post was to answer to this very frustrating situation: "PDFMaker cannot locate the Adobe PDF Printers printer driver." I have reinstalled Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Professional numerous times. I have Vista (64 bit).

So I tried this procedure. However, I couldn't get past step 13 "Delete the INFCACHE.1 file." Vista won't let me delete the file. I supposedly don't have permission but I am the only user and am the administrator. That step seemed weird anyway. Why would we reconfigure that file and then delete it?

Since I couldn't delete INFCACHE.1, I just went ahead with restarting the computer, then reinstalling Adobe Acrobat. It's a long process and it didn't make any difference. So the principal reason to have Adobe Acrobat Professional is voided. Can anyone offer more help? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You reconfigure the permissions on the INFCACHE.1 file so you are allowed to delete it. Did you make sure you "allow" your account "full control" on the INFCACHE.1 file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Your instructions were excellent. It was my mistake: missing the reason for modifying the permissions for INFCACHE.1 was simply to be able to delete it. Thanks so much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an inf file you could add the printer with inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF - why not use that instead?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF
Add a group