• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Preflight Font Warning is Wrong

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I understand Adobe will no longer be supporting Type 1 fonts as of January 2023.

I use an Adobe Preflight setting that flags Type 1 fonts with a warning message, “Text uses Type 1 font”

I have a whole library of documents that use Frutiger OpenType. I’ve triple checked these InDesign files to be sure there are no Type 1 fonts. After exporting the InDesign files to PDFX, then running Preflight in Adobe Acrobat ProDC, the preflight shows a warning that the Frutiger font is Type 1. It's not. I checked each font name to be sure InDesign didn’t somehow replace the OpenType version with a Type 1 version and, no, the name correctly matches the OpenType font name.

Two questions

Why does Adobe preflight think the Frutiger OpenType font is Type 1?

What will happen after January 23 when Type 1 fonts are no longer supported?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Because it *is* type 1 in the PDF. The preflight is working fine. How did they get there? It is normal and natural for fonts to be converted to type 1 as part of making the PDF. You can't control or stop it.

This is not a problem, because type 1 support is not going away *for fonts in a PDF*, and never can. Billions of existing PDFs use type 1 fonts.

If you are trying to use this as a neat trick for finding type 1 fonts in InDesign files - you just can't do it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with the Frutiger font family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because it *is* type 1 in the PDF. The preflight is working fine. How did they get there? It is normal and natural for fonts to be converted to type 1 as part of making the PDF. You can't control or stop it.

This is not a problem, because type 1 support is not going away *for fonts in a PDF*, and never can. Billions of existing PDFs use type 1 fonts.

If you are trying to use this as a neat trick for finding type 1 fonts in InDesign files - you just can't do it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines