• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe's Free "Compress PDF Files Online" Tool

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm curious as to whether Adobe keeps the original PDF file after it is compressed? Is it deleted, and if so, when is it deleted?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Hi Kidneywarrior,

First off, I do not work for Adobe, I'm one of many folks who just try to help folks in these forums with basic help.

So, I cannot say for sure whether the documents are kept but let's step back to think about this for a minute. Can you imagine the shock and indignation if Adobe did do that? I mean it would be bad enough if Adobe kept a letter from my Aunt Maude but a whole different matter if they kept a copy of my tax returns. 

And then comes the question of why would t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you compressing it?

Otherwise, as far as I know, if you have the file on your computer and you compress it, that version replaces the one that was compressed. If you have the file saved in the Acrobat Document Cloud, if you save the compressed version on your computer, the uncompressed one is still in the cloud. If you save the compressed on back to the DC cloud, the uncompressed one is gone. 

If you are using Acrobat in a browser to do the compressing, I'm not sure but I'd suspect that the new one replaces the original.

FWIW, I will often save the compressed one with a different name to compare the sized saved and if concerned compare the quality. Then I toss the one I no longer want/need. But I do not expect ANYONE other than a nerd like me to care about doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gary_sc, thanks so much for your quick reply. As I look back at my question, I see that I should have been more specific.

I used Adobe's free online PDF compressor tool, and I wanted to know if  Adobe retains the original PDF in the cloud if I don't save it online.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kidneywarrior,

First off, I do not work for Adobe, I'm one of many folks who just try to help folks in these forums with basic help.

So, I cannot say for sure whether the documents are kept but let's step back to think about this for a minute. Can you imagine the shock and indignation if Adobe did do that? I mean it would be bad enough if Adobe kept a letter from my Aunt Maude but a whole different matter if they kept a copy of my tax returns. 

And then comes the question of why would they do that? To my knowledge, Adobe does not maintain iterations of documents. Even in the DC, if you keep your documents there and make a change, I know of no way to get a previous version of a document back. If I'm working with someone else, and we are making different versions, I'll rename the document "blahblah v.1" etc. 

So if you're looking for the original becuase you need it, I think you're out of luck. If you're looking for the original beause you are suspicious, I think you can have a restful sleep.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for a very thoughtful reply. I will sleep well this evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines