Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe won't Include PDF's "Header" when Exporting to Excel

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This may be hard to explain, so I'll try to be brief and start from the beginning. I first combined 200 pdf's. Each pdf is in the same format with a simple table and title section, both of which Adobe Acrobat recognizes and is able to interpret. When I export the 200 combined pdf's to excel in a single workbook, all of these types of  elements can be found in the file. However,... each of the pdf's do not contain every element of the title section. Because the title appears near the top and is consistent among the pdf's, I believe that Adobe Acrobat interprets it as a header and thus cuts it out for some of the pdf's.

I can confirm this by analyzing the results of same combined pdf's exported word document. The missing elements from the excel document are headers in the word document. The exact same stuff.... And each page's header is not consistent. Some have two header lines. Some have one. Some have none...

Anyway, my question is: can I stop Adobe, or Microsoft, from labeling the title section as a header? Is there anyway I can get around this if I can't? Thanks.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josephk,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Would it be possible to share the pdf file with us? To share the file here in the forums, please refer to the steps given here: How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Also. the dot version of Acrobat and the operating system installed on the machine. To check dot version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same (or nearly the same) problem as josephk.  We upgraded to Acrobat DC Pro (it says Continuous Release Version 2018.011.20038) in the past couple of weeks and now conversions to Excel are not working the same way as they were with Acrobat Pro XI.

There is a block of data at the top of each page of my source PDF consisting of several cells that remain constant from page to page, with the exception of one cell that has the page number.  Acrobat DC is recognizing this block of data as a header.  I know because when I export the same file to Word, this block shows up in the header section of each page.

When I convert the file to Excel with Acrobat DC, that block of data is missing from each page in the resulting Excel file.  When I convert the same file to Excel with Acrobat XI, that block of data is there for every page.

Interestingly, there is one thing that is different between the converted files:

In the source PDF, the "header" section includes an image of our company logo.

When converting the file with Acrobat DC, only the image is carried over to the Excel file - this happens for every page.  No other data from the "header" section makes it over to the Excel file.

When converting the same file with Acrobat XI, the image is never carried over to the Excel file (although there is a blank cell where the image is normally located in the source PDF).  However, all of the other data-containing cells for each page carry over to the Excel file - mimicking the appearance of the source PDF.

It is definitely because of some change in the conversion  feature between Acrobat XI and DC.  Maybe there is some option setting that can be incorporated to allow recognition of "headers" or not.

I'm sorry, I can't share these files for troubleshooting, as they are business-sensitive documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM ... oh my gosh, I am so relieved to see that this is a documented issue elsewhere. .... except I'm nervous that it appears to not have been resolved? 

Is there a fix for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been experiencing the same issue, and below is a clumsy workaround which might help:

> Go to Tools - Edit PDF

> Select Crop Pages

> Crop to select only the data table you would like to export on the page

> Right click and select Set CropBox

> now try to export again to xlsx

Hope Adobe will be able to release a more formal fix.  Before then it is a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines