• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of the text disappeared when I tried to save a pdf document. The highlights remained.

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using someone else's text from another forum but I am experiencing the same issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, Version 2021.001.20142:

This is the issue at hand: "I saved a PDF (text) that I had been editing with highlights. When the PDF was saved all of the text disappeared, leaving blank white pages with my markups. This has happened multiple times. I would like to [...] recover the text of the PDF while maintaining the highlights [...]."

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the text from the PDF disappeared when you try to save it after highlighting.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

If the PDF file is stored on a shared network/drive please download and save it to your computer first and check if that helps.

Also, please make sure you have the latest version 21.01.20145 installed Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once.

Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC automatically saves the document changes to the temporary file if you have the save settings enabled. Go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Documents > Under Save settings Select 'Save document changes to temporary file after every X minute' 

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Amal,

thank you for your response.

This has happened to me throughout the year. It is not every pdf document but definitely a few. They are all saved on my hard drive. It happens randomly. I have got the latest version and it automatically saves temporary documents every 5 minutes. 

I have been creating comment summaries (text pages on the left are blank showing highlights, the comments on the right remain) to not lose all my work but it is still a hassle because I have to download the original pdf document and compare it with my notes. 

Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 12.52.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I am sorry for the delay in response.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences to default as described here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to me sometimes, but none of the solutions you mentioned work.

I will say that it is immensely frustrating that a document that you have worked on for some time just disappears especially because we pay for the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS do you use? Is your Acrobat up to date?

Can you provide additional details about what is happening? What software produced the pdf? Can you upload a sample pdf showing the invisible type and comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use macOS Ventura and yes Acrobat is updated, this has been an issue for about half a year at this point, mostly when I save a signature, which is frustrating as after a signature is saved the document cannot be edited again so I have to start from scratch.

Unfortunately, I cannot upload the documents as they are for my work and I cannot share them.
I welcome any solutions to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can only guess what the problem is. My first thought is the type is in a font that does not allow embedding (such as a free font), and editing the pdf is causing the font to become invisible, or white. Try saving the original pdf as PDF/X-1a, (File> Save as other> PDF/X> Settings) sometimes this will clear strange issues like this, if the conversion fails, what message appears? Try running a Preflight fixup to embed the fonts on the original pdf (Tools> Print Production> Preflight> Fixups).  I assume you are not opening the pdf in Apple Preview before opening it in Acrobat, (this can damage a pdf). If that fails, try turning off the enhanced security setting in Acrobat preferences.

Go to File> Properties> Description, to see what program created the pdf, this information could be helpful.

embed fonts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines