Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

alt txt not registered for images in acrobat DC when converting from markdown

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a markdown document with images defined like below:

![Figure 3.1. Long-term sea surface temperatures ](figures/ex3-1.png "Figure 3.1. Long-term sea surface ")

When this markdown document gets converted to pdf all of the alt text info is not transferred. It gets lost. This is apparent when i perform an accessibility check. 

My doc has 100+ images, it needs to be 508 compliant, and i do not want to enter this text manually.

I see the same issue when converting other formats to pdf

Why does this happen? How can it be remedied? Is this an Adobe issue/bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any adobe developers that can chime in on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a huge organisation designed to make quite sure you never hear from an Adobe developer... still, how do you convert this markdown stuff to PDF, exactly? Since surely Acrobat doesn’t do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to convert markdown or flavors of markdown to pdf. Pandoc being one of them. And of course, you are right, Adobe doesn't do that it is just interpreting the output. This issue is rooted in the converstion software. However when you convert a bold heading, Adobe understands how to read that and interpret it, because the conversion software has formatted the output in a way that Acrobat can read it

I guess my point/question is rooted in "How does Acrobat interpret alt text?"

When you run the accessability options in acrobat you are told which fields are missing information. So Acrobat clearly has a standard for this. However i don't see any documentation (by Adobe) to suggest how these fields should be formatted.

So how is a developer of conversion software meant to develop when the standards are unknowm?

I am also trying to ask similar questions to the pandoc community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat has no fields in the way you have them in your original example. It has a series of invisible objects giving information on the structure and attributes of each visible object. You can't directly code these, it is up to the conversion software to make them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines