Highlighted

Annoyances with Acrobat

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyances with Acrobat

Things I find really annoying about Adobe Acrobat.  Most of which have only developed in recent years, or have become more annoying in recent years, turning what used to be a really elegant, simple, functional application into a clunky, bloated annoyance!  Some features only found on Windows, Mac or iOS versions, all of which I use and all of which I find annoying!  Some of these are experiences built up over a long time, others are things that have occurred to me anew since lockdown and the increase in home working and online meetings.  Don’t get me wrong; PDFs are a great way of preserving the look and accuracy of documents, especially drawings, which I use a lot, and the presence of Acrobat, and that it is free, is a godsend, but…:

• The two sidebars, that contain few important useful tools, that could just as easily be accessed from the toolbar or (preferably, given how little I use them, the menus);
  • That the two sidebars are really bloated in size and are always open when you open a new document, taking up valuable desktop real estate and therefore having to be clicked to close first thing after I open documents.  If the sidebars really have to be retained, there should be a preference for documents to open with them closed or if you finished with them closed last time, the next new document should open with them closed;
  • That when you close the right hand side bar, there is still a mini side bar there, that takes a second click to close properly!  This often means that if I’m opening several documents the number of click and sweeps across the screen needed is trebled!!  A second best would at least be if there was a keyboard shortcut to close the wretched wastes of space, rather than having to drag the mouse across the screen to click the arrow to close them;
  • Its also really annoying if someone else is sharing a PDF in an online meeting and they don’t close the wretched sidebars, so their document is really small with loads of precious screen wasted (my work laptop does not have a large screen);
  • When you open a document and it spends ages with a dialogue box (as famously misnamed, there being no dialogue, just monologue in the widespread computing process), telling me “Please wait while the document is being prepared for reading”!  You can cancel it, but thats just another annoying click to have to make, in another part of the screen, with no keyboard shortcut.  I don’t see a huge difference, if any, in the appearance of the document after it’s apparently finished this preparing for reading!  I don’t think this feature always appears and it may be Mac only;
  • When you’re using the Pan tool (the hand) to move the document around in the window, and it suddenly starts selecting bits of the document instead!  And that it’s often really difficult to stop it, which seems to be a bit random, something to do with finding a blank bit of page, I think;
  • That customising the toolbar is difficult and imperfect, leaving the most useful tools to often disappear when you need them (for common legitimate reasons of having several different documents, using different Apps open).  Why can’t you, as well as customising the toolbar so you get your favourite tools and not the unnecessary ones (like Cut, Copy, Paste, Save, Print; all of which have well known, standardised, keyboard shortcuts), can’t you save the order of tools that show when the toolbar isn’t long enough?  Any why can’t you customise the keyboard shortcuts?  Or at least, there ought to be keyboard shortcuts for more of the tools;
  • And why are 2 of the most useful tools, “Fit to Width Scrolling” & “Fit One Full Page” lost in a submenu on the toolbar, so you have to do an extra click to get them, and they don’t have a shortcut?!? 
  • What Adobe clearly want users to do is to sign up for their paid-for, Acrobat Pro product, and it’s understandable that companies would want to get people paying for their product, but I don’t understand why they push the Pro product in the way they do, with the emphasis on the “e-sign” electronic signature capability, which I would have thought is only of marginal appeal.  Surely the main purpose of Acrobat Pro is the ability to edit PDFs, particularly combining, splitting and text editing them;
  • It all goes together as a company owning a fantastic old product, still full of usefulness, but who don’t understand it and want to make us use it in different ways to what we want, making the product bloated and unwieldy.  
TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, General troubleshooting, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Annoyances with Acrobat

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyances with Acrobat

Things I find really annoying about Adobe Acrobat.  Most of which have only developed in recent years, or have become more annoying in recent years, turning what used to be a really elegant, simple, functional application into a clunky, bloated annoyance!  Some features only found on Windows, Mac or iOS versions, all of which I use and all of which I find annoying!  Some of these are experiences built up over a long time, others are things that have occurred to me anew since lockdown and the increase in home working and online meetings.  Don’t get me wrong; PDFs are a great way of preserving the look and accuracy of documents, especially drawings, which I use a lot, and the presence of Acrobat, and that it is free, is a godsend, but…:

• The two sidebars, that contain few important useful tools, that could just as easily be accessed from the toolbar or (preferably, given how little I use them, the menus);
  • That the two sidebars are really bloated in size and are always open when you open a new document, taking up valuable desktop real estate and therefore having to be clicked to close first thing after I open documents.  If the sidebars really have to be retained, there should be a preference for documents to open with them closed or if you finished with them closed last time, the next new document should open with them closed;
  • That when you close the right hand side bar, there is still a mini side bar there, that takes a second click to close properly!  This often means that if I’m opening several documents the number of click and sweeps across the screen needed is trebled!!  A second best would at least be if there was a keyboard shortcut to close the wretched wastes of space, rather than having to drag the mouse across the screen to click the arrow to close them;
  • Its also really annoying if someone else is sharing a PDF in an online meeting and they don’t close the wretched sidebars, so their document is really small with loads of precious screen wasted (my work laptop does not have a large screen);
  • When you open a document and it spends ages with a dialogue box (as famously misnamed, there being no dialogue, just monologue in the widespread computing process), telling me “Please wait while the document is being prepared for reading”!  You can cancel it, but thats just another annoying click to have to make, in another part of the screen, with no keyboard shortcut.  I don’t see a huge difference, if any, in the appearance of the document after it’s apparently finished this preparing for reading!  I don’t think this feature always appears and it may be Mac only;
  • When you’re using the Pan tool (the hand) to move the document around in the window, and it suddenly starts selecting bits of the document instead!  And that it’s often really difficult to stop it, which seems to be a bit random, something to do with finding a blank bit of page, I think;
  • That customising the toolbar is difficult and imperfect, leaving the most useful tools to often disappear when you need them (for common legitimate reasons of having several different documents, using different Apps open).  Why can’t you, as well as customising the toolbar so you get your favourite tools and not the unnecessary ones (like Cut, Copy, Paste, Save, Print; all of which have well known, standardised, keyboard shortcuts), can’t you save the order of tools that show when the toolbar isn’t long enough?  Any why can’t you customise the keyboard shortcuts?  Or at least, there ought to be keyboard shortcuts for more of the tools;
  • And why are 2 of the most useful tools, “Fit to Width Scrolling” & “Fit One Full Page” lost in a submenu on the toolbar, so you have to do an extra click to get them, and they don’t have a shortcut?!? 
  • What Adobe clearly want users to do is to sign up for their paid-for, Acrobat Pro product, and it’s understandable that companies would want to get people paying for their product, but I don’t understand why they push the Pro product in the way they do, with the emphasis on the “e-sign” electronic signature capability, which I would have thought is only of marginal appeal.  Surely the main purpose of Acrobat Pro is the ability to edit PDFs, particularly combining, splitting and text editing them;
  • It all goes together as a company owning a fantastic old product, still full of usefulness, but who don’t understand it and want to make us use it in different ways to what we want, making the product bloated and unwieldy.  
TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, General troubleshooting, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0

Have something to add?