• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any ideas about how to prevent sharing of a pdf form except for person who paid to use it?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to secure a PDF form so that a user is prevented from copying it with all the form fields and the work that went into creating dynamic form field content (math and duplicate fields, etc.) built into the form with other people?  I'd like to make and sell pdf legal forms, but I'm worried after searching online about pdf security that a password is easily removed from pdf documents.  Any ideas about how I could prevent sharing of my pdf form except for the person who paid to use it?  Without being able to prevent sharing of the pdf form, it wouldn't be worth putting in the effort to make a detailed and dynamic pdf form since I couldn't charge for something that would eventually be available for free from other users of the form if they can just copy and share it.  I don't have thousands to spend on a server or other possible solution.  Any creative ideas?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

You might need to look at Digital Rights Management for this.

Have a look at: PDF Protection: protect PDF files to stop editing, copying, printing, saving

It looks like they have ready-to-go solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to look at Digital Rights Management for this.

Have a look at: PDF Protection: protect PDF files to stop editing, copying, printing, saving

It looks like they have ready-to-go solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will take a look at the link you provided.  Looks promising. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be advised this is a very expensive technology to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. It looks like hundreds of dollars a month at minimum.  I'm thinking that it might be best to use a website to create accounts that create a pdf output rather than trying to lock down a pdf form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t see how that would stop sharing a file. This is the Creative world we live in: everyone from solo authors to Disney has found their work can be instantly shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things that can be done to make it difficult to share a document. You can't completely stop knowledgeable and motivated malicious users, but there are many simple (and cheap) things you can do to raise the bar to keep mostly honest users honest.

For example just password protecting a file means the user has to pass out the password, which many people are reluctant to do. You could also protect the document with a digital certificate, which is more difficult for most users to share. For an alternative type of solution, put the user's credit card number on the front front page. I knew a guy who did this to protect content.

There is also a lite security solution that uses an OCG layer to obscure the document pages until certain conditions are met. This same technique can also be used to force the user to only view the document on the desktop Reader.  Reader can run scripts that do things like contacting a web server to verify the user. But you're talking about some custom work with this solution.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughtful answer, I really appreciate the ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend no one use this website. See my review of it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/how-to-prevent-pdf-files-save-locally-or-forward-the-to-anyon...

In short, the protection it offers is easily overcome and it is not clear who (or what) is behind it, that you're giving access to your sensitive files to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines