• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone know how to make a pdf do this? (see youtube vid below)

Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Here is file, see if it works, I had to create hidden text field to put code in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DNTtN5JwZEHob3CurJKkK94JjixPIYcu/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a checklist using an interactive pdf that has a traffic light image that updates based on the number of boxes checked. i.e. 0/7 boxes checked = red,red,red 1/7 boxes checked = amber,red,red 4/7 boxes checked = green,amber,amber 7/7 boxes checked = green, green, green

I have desinged the images I just don't know howo get it to work this way.The video above is just an XD demo recording of what I am hoping to achieve.

Thanks in advance 

Grantdj_0-1616785456211.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have images then you can use image field and make calculation to show/hide field depending on checkbox choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Nesa. Sounds like the exactly what I was hoping for. I have never done this sort of thing before. Is there any chance you can tell me the basic steps to get a simple version working, I should be able to work it out once I know where to go. Is this in Acrobat or Indesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat.

There is couple of ways you can do it.

If you want to use your own images select "Prepare form" tool and on toolbar you will find "Add an Image Field"

once you made field, right click on it and select 'properties' under 'options' tab  click 'Choose Icon' then you can add image, repeat for all images, after you have done all that you can start working on script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I have found all that. Thank you. Could you give me an example of a script and tell me where and how to insert it please (◠‿◠)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how far I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't download that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Oh sorry, here's a onedrive link instead: Pdf sample

All seven versions of the traffic light image are layered on top of each other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is 8 images, what are condition for each to show/hide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is file, see if it works, I had to create hidden text field to put code in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DNTtN5JwZEHob3CurJKkK94JjixPIYcu/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nesa, unfortunately it doesn't seem to update the images when I check the boxes. Feels like we are close though. Where can I see the code you used, the text box seems to be empty. Thank you once again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked file and code is working and it's in hidden field. Sometimes when you go check codes in field they disappear, if you didn't save file after just close it and try again, if you saved then download file again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 90% there. Wow thank you, you are very clever! I had to open it in windows not mac. If I open it in adobe pdf reader in windows it works perfectly, if I open it in chrome pdf reader in windows everything works until I click on the 7th option and it all goes red again. But nothing seems to work in mac or on adobe pdf reader on my android phone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Grantdj wrote:

But nothing seems to work in mac or on adobe pdf reader on my android phone. 

• When you are on a Mac, are you using Adobe Acrobat Reader or Preview, the default application for viewing images and PDFs on Macs? It won't work in Preview, but should work in Reader.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thanks for your response.

I used Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the file both on my mac and on my Galaxy Note 20. I was hoping there was a way for it to work on most platforms of end-users rather than myself. But I will provide two options one clearly labelled " Only for use in Adobe Acrobat - Windows 10" and the other without the traffic light system. 

Still very cool that it can be done at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't work on your phone even with adobe reader because javascript is not very supported on mobile, although there is one app on phone I belive it's called something like "PDF Expert"  it has best support for javascript so you can check that and for everything else read @jane-e post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesa, once again thank you so much for your help! You're brilliant 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nesa Nurani Nesa, I hope you don't mind me picking your brain again. But is there a way to hide the traffic light completely if the script does not run? That way they won't be confused when they open the pdf in an application that does not support the script. Perhaps it can start as hidden and only reveal if the script runs? Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would be better to hide images from the start. Did you try to hide fields and check if everything works?

If you need to adapt script please post your file here so I can take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nesa. I have attached the file. I haven't tried to hide fields yet as I wanted to get your thoughts first and am not sure how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hide "rrr" field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant, thank you. Sorry I am completely new to using these types of features in adobe pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines