• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arial: "This font can't be used in editing" (Acrobat Pro DC)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a "This font can't be used in editing" error when using Arial in PDF editing. The document I'm editing was created by me, and used Arial previously. Now, it won't let me use it. I'm using the 2015 release of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (cloud).

Super annoying, I need to make some changes on the file (work related) and can't since the font wont work. Another font isn't suitable as Arial is needed for consistency.

Any advice?

Thanks

Katherine

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the file, it's impossible to say what's going on. In general, it's always best if you can go back to the original document that was used to create the PDF file to make the changes. This of course does not help if you don't have access to that file anymore. One thing you can try is to convert the document to e.g. an MS Word document, make your changes in the Word document, and then convert back to PDF. How well this will work depends on how the PDF file was created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

Sorry for the super late reply here. 3 months on the problem is still happening and it happens in every single PDF I edit, whether I create it or not. It seems to be only for Arial Regular as all the other version of Arial seem to work fine.

The only way for me to 'choose' Arial is to click Helvetica (which for some reason doesn't work in PDF) so it appears as Arial. Mind you if I change to Prepare Form, and back to Edit, I have to change the font all over again every time, otherwise it changes to Arial Narrow.

Does this sound like a file issue or a system issue?

Arial works in other programs, seems to only be Acrobat that has the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can post a sample file, maybe we can further assist you since we haven't previously seen or heard of this issue.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem!!! Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Has there been any resolution here???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or even any ATTEMPT to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post an sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repair installation under Help fixed the problem for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe DC Pro and pay about $20 / month for it.    Still have this font issue with so mamy files.   What does it take for Adobe to fix this issue?   Here is a sample file, but it happens to 50% of files I ever touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer ended up needing to be rebuilt for a separate issue so unfortunately I'm not able to provide a solution. My best guess would be to uninstall and reinstall fonts if you can as a first try. Otherwise try and post a sample file as suggested by others. Sorry I'm not more help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with every PDF I try to edit.  I am at beginner level.  And stuck there!

I am going to attach a sample PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there is no way to attach a PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload it to a file-sharing website (Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud) and post the link to it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i deleted the text box and put a new one on the page where the issue was happening. After doing so i was able to type in Arial font no problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to fix this glitch. Have we not complained long enough???!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also researching this issue. I have deleted text boxes and redone them. Works a time or two and then breaks again. Super frustrating. Finding lots of people complaining about this, but no real solutions. 2020-01-05_12-31-12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem - two years later!  Were you able to resolve this issue and, if so, how?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been having this same issue. Has anyone found a solution? I cant find anyone who has had success online for a problem that has been going on for years. I need help with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It replaces the Arial font with a font called Z@RE46C.tmp

All solutions online discuss embedding fonts at the print settings but if I do that and print the file then I lose all my prepared form fields. The issue isn't about what it looks like when its printed, it is that I cant edit a field in the form using the same font that was previously used (Arial) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the fonts in the document and report back the fonts. Are you working on a Windows or macOS PC. Please include also the OS version.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Abambo,

This is a Windows 10, 64 bit operating system.

Below are the fonts listed when I open the document and select 'File' --> 'Properties' --> 'Fonts'

I apreciate any help you can provide.

PJVERT_0-1667328304290.png

PJVERT_1-1667328334723.pngPJVERT_2-1667328362295.png

PJVERT_3-1667328381644.pngPJVERT_4-1667328398891.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines