• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automate clearing top half of page for labels?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of UPS mailing labels (which are half of a letter page) are sent to me with instructions that I don't want included on the top half of the page and the actual label on the bottom half. I print several of these most days and would like to automate or at least speed up clearing the top half of the page so I don't waste labels by printing instructions on them.

My first approach was to crop the top half of each page by using Print Production --> Crop, top 5.5", then combine that label file with that of any others I would be mailing soon, and then setting up my print menu to print two of the resulting half-letter-sized pages to a letter page. That's time-consuming, no good for an odd number of labels, and forgetting to change the print settings back to normal (for non-label printing) every once in awhile leads to a few dozen wasted pages. (When I don't add a second file and try to just print one cropped-page label by itself the print menu automatically decides to screw around with the size/orientation of the label.)

My second approach has been to manually redact the top half with white redaction, but that's also more time-consuming than I feel the overall process perhaps could be.

Is there a method I'm not thinking of to automate this? I don't see anything in the action wizard library for DC that would be helpful and I don't know the first thing about javascript (including if it would even be capable of helping with this issue).

Thanks.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , JavaScript , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the area you want to remove is always the same it's possible to use a script to add a Redaction annotation over that area in all the pages of the file, and then apply those redactions. This script can even be attached to a menu item, so you could run it with a single click, basically.

This will require a bit of scripting know-how, though. If you're interested in hiring someone to develop it for you feel free to contact me privately via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines