• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automated Process For Inserting Live Hyperlinks Into a Large Scientific PDF Document

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

There's a 500+ page scientific PDF book that contains hundreds of equations. The equation numbers are defined in the following form (##.###) e.g.

(1.1)
(2.24)
(9.102)
(12.5)
(12.65)
(14.106)

Then, numerous places in the text of the book reference equations using the form: Eq. (##.###) e.g.

“The formula shown in Eq. (9.102) is essentially equivalent to the form shown in Eq. (6.3)”.

Three additional forms of referencing series of equations is used, e.g.

“Eqs. (1.7-1.8)”

“Eqs. (11.17-11.25)”

“Eqs. (12.99) and (12.100)”

I wish for the user to be able to navigate very quickly from a given page containing a given sentence that references an Eq. by having the Eq. reference string (examples above) be turned into a hyperlink. When clicked, the link will jump the reader to the specific page and part of the page where the related equation is defined (e.g. clicking on "Eq. (6.3) in the text will jump to the page where (6.3) is defined, wherein (6.3) is the anchor, or destination of the hyperlink).  If it’s a series of equation, like Eqs. (1.7-1.8), I’d want the reader to jump to the first equation.

I know hyperlinks that jump to other pages are possible in PDF files, and I know this can done manually when writing the book, but the book is already written and very large.  It needs to be able to convert in an automated fashion. I’m sure there has to be a way to do this.

The above is good for now, but ideally, I’d also like hyperlinks to jump to References at the end of a given chapter (e.g. click on "[12]" in the chapter's text jumps reader to Reference 12 at end of chapter).  The same goes for links in the text that jump to the given referenced Table, Figure, Box, etc.

All of these things are essentially regex (regular expression) search/replace of strings in the PDF file data converting the strings to the associated hyperlinks... I’m sure there must be an automated way to do this, either provided by Adobe or an open source script? 

After auto-conversion, a human can go in and fix any typos the automated program or script may have introduced.

Final question -- in terms of a document editor, what is the general consensus of what the top-5 scientific document editors are (aside from TeX / Math ML coding)?  Specifically with respect to auto-hyper-linking to related equations, or even just keeping track of equation number references in the text and auto-updating the text of a given equation number changes during the course of authoring, I haven't found a document composition application that even includes these basic features.  Any tips on that end of things?

Please advise.  Thank you.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Print and prepress , Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've developed a couple of (paid-for) tools that can help you achieve exactly that. I would recommend the stand-alone version for such large files: http://try67.blogspot.com/2012/03/acrobat-create-custom-links-from-text.html

It allows you to create links that perform various commands based on a search string, such as go to a Named Destination within the file, or just to a certain page number, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines