Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically resize text field once filled in

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have a form created in Indesign and exported as an interactive PDF with some text fields that fall mid sentence, something like 'Contact XXX to find out more'. These fields require an email address so I have inserted a generous text field for this as the length of the address will vary person to person. However, this means that some of the completed forms have large gaps in the middle of the sentence as they don't require the full width of the text field to accommodate the email address. I'm wondering if there is any way to create a field that will resize itself to the correct width of the information filled in and flow the remainder of the sentence/paragraph correctly after it? Basically I'm trying to eliminate the gaps left by the static field I currently have in place.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't resize fields automatically based on their contents.

What you can do, though, is set the font size of the field to Auto, so that the text will fit in it, no matter how long it is.

Or, you can create a field for the entire sentence, and have it copy the email address from somewhere else (another field, the value of a prompt window presented to the user, etc.). That will mean the entire text is uniform and with equal spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response try67. I don't think setting the font size to auto will work as it replaces one formatting issue with another. The font size won't match of rest of the sentence if its a long entry and still doesn't eliminate the gaps if it's a short one. 

I'm not sure what you mean by creating a field for the entire sentence. How would that work as only part of it should be editable? The email address doesn't appear anywhere else on the form. Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll have to add another field for the email, then, or use a pop-up for the user to enter the value, which can be triggered using a separate button field, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines