• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Compress PDF FIles

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the cloud-based version of Acrobat DC Pro, can we still setup a way to take pdfs in one folder, compress them and dump into another folder?

If not, is there still a way to obtain the on-prem client version? 

I believe there was a way to do that with creating an Action that compresses files in Adobe, and then creating a batch file using that action.

We need to compress thousands of pdfs that come out of dynamics 365.  They are bloated and Adobe's compression reduces their size by almost 10 times.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

You can use the Action Wizard in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

You can do batch conversion using Actions.

• In Acrobat Pro DC, go to Tools.
  • Search for Actions and click the Action Wizard.
  • You an then click New Action.
  • Under Document Processing , choose Reduce File Size.
  • Pick settings under Files to be Processed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Action Wizard in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do batch conversion using Actions.

• In Acrobat Pro DC, go to Tools.
  • Search for Actions and click the Action Wizard.
  • You an then click New Action.
  • Under Document Processing , choose Reduce File Size.
  • Pick settings under Files to be Processed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I use the Action Wizard to batch compress PDF files, the program freeze... What happened? I tried many times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, none of this is Cloud based. The Cloud service doesn't have actions or automations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I didn't know this existed and this instruction was perfect. For others following the same steps, I recommend adding "save" to the actions after this and using optimized PDF to compress it further and cut down on save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesnt work for large amount of files. The software just freezes. The only solution I found is to use another paid options, which is not a solution for us. It is a pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To compress multiple files:

• open a pdf  and select Optimize from the Tools menu
  • click on Reduce file size from the Optimize popup toolbar
  • in the Reduce File Size popup dialogue box, click Apply to Multiple Files
  • drag and drop the files in the Arrange documents dialogue box or select Add files
  • use shift key to select multiple files
  • select the output options - Target folder, ovewright files etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actions looks good but it requires more details than what is listed here. I'll work on this over the weekend.

1. Comptability Questions. How far back do you go? I think 10 is good but why would I need Acrobat 4.0?

2. Then it asks me to resave. Will it do this for every file?

I'll post the whole process with screenshots for this over the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Comptability Questions. How far back do you go? I think 10 is good but why would I need Acrobat 4.0"

Compatibility is mainly a concern for people with specific workflows and specific rules. For example, PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 are very widely used in professional printing. These must be PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4.0). Similarly PDF/A-1a and PDF/A-1b. If these mean nothing to you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen,

Your comments are MEANINGFUL. I was only considering in-house production but I didn't know print houses needed 4.0. Thanks you for your comments. I need to talk to FEDEX Office and Staples about this when I go by their this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's important not to guess because using PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4.0) may degrade quality or hugely increase file sizes in some cases. In much of Europe printers have moved on to PDF/X-4, but take-up in the USA is more patchy. Small print shops may have no clue, especially if they just print to high volume laser printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, this just saved me a load of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this doesn't work for us. I would like to process an entire network drive including subfolders with hundreds of thousands of pdfs. The problem is that there are not only pdfs on that drive so if I choose folder in the Action Wizard, Acrobat tries to optimize every file type it therefore fails as soon as it tries to open anything other than a PDF.

I need a solution that will give me lossless quality. Is there any other way to proceed ? Maybe a command line option where I could run a loop in a batch file ? A good third party would also be an option if it is lossless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is absolutely the wrong solution once you pass "hundreds". It is an interactive tool with very light duty automation. It is inconceivable you could process hundreds of thousands of files, unless you do it a hundred or less at a time, manually triggering each batch after checking the last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

Any suggestions on a right tool? 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could search for all files ending in .pdf, grab a hundred or so, drag n  drop to the Optimize window. Or else, you could applescript it to parse the drive for all .pdf files, open in Acrobat, save as optimized with custom settings. I bet someone has already written one. Maybe in Java script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines