• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmark Zoom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be stumbling over a very basic point.

After the last update of my Acrobat Pro DC, I am unable to set custom zoom settings for my bookmarks.

All bookmarks default to one of the five options:

Fit Page

Actual Size

Fit Width

Fit Visible

Inherit Zoom

... whereas before they would maintain the custom zoom current when they are first saved.

I see the option to "Use Named Destination".  I have tried defining and referencing destinations with no success.

What am I missing ?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

+++UPDATE

Looks like  the last optional update of 24 September addresses this issue:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuoussep2020qfe.html#dccontinuousseptwentytwentyqfe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell if this is happening with one particular PDF or with every PDF that you try to set these bookmarks  zoom preferences?

Would it be possible if you can share a sample of the file with the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our use of bookmarks is to zoom into enlarged areas of old structural drawings.

For example, I created a bookmark named "Column" in the attached PDF, at a custom zoom:

Bookmark.jpg

Prior to the software update, the bookmark would maintain the zoom level at which it was created.

Now, when you start at Actual Size zoom level, then click the bookmark, it does not restore the custom zoom. 

The sample PDF can be downloaded here:

Sample 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem.

The answer is to not use "Bookmarks", but use "Destinations" instead.

Then you can zoom to an area on any page, save it as a name, and flick between saved destinations ..

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fairly new to Acrobat is the ability to set a default bookmark zoom.  In the past, your bookmarks always inherited the zoom from when it was created.  If you click on the Settings icon in the Bookmarks panel, you can use a default preset or the older Inherit zoom option.

inheritzoom.png

I hope this is helpful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "Inherit Zoom" was selected.

In my case, the bookmark does not seem to inherit the zoom level at which it was created.

It inherits the zoom level of the previous view.  See my comments to ls_rbls.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought Acrobat Pro 2020 and trying to set the Default Bookmark Zoom level. This optioin does not show in the new bookmark. I need to set Inherit Zoom as the defalt for all created bookmarks. How do I get this option to show?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Acrobat Reference guide, Adobe recommends to first create a group of bookmarks and then set the destination.

This is recommended because bookmarks are usually automatically generated when a source document that was produced with another publishing program is converted to PDF in Acrobat.

And I quote from the reference guide "Initially, a bookmark displays the page that was in view when the bookmark was created, which is the bookmark’s destination." 

Unless this is happening with every document that you create from scratch, I think that the underlying problem in your case is that it is related to one prticular PDF.

If that would be the case, can you confirm if the file that you're currently working with has security settings or restrictions in place that doesn't allow the addition of bookmarks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++UPDATE

Looks like  the last optional update of 24 September addresses this issue:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuoussep2020qfe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I use Acrobat Pro DC to do Custom Zoom on large chematics as Chaffer-New_User does.  I have the same problem.  I did the optional update of:

AcrobatDCUpd2001220048.msp

I also checked for updates in Acrobat itself I am now at 20.013.20074.

My default zoom on my bookmarks are set to Inherit.

My new bookmarks do not retain their original zoom level. 

current settings:

File>Properties>Initial View> Magnification> Default

Edit>Preferences>Page Display>Page Layout: Single Page, Zoom: Fit Page

I cant find anything else off hand that could have an adverse effect to the zoom.

Interestingly older documents that I have built with the custom zoom still retain their original bookmarked zoom level. However, if I add a new bookmark with X zoom level the same problem occurs and the original zoom level is not saved for future inheritance nor is the option of Custom Zoom available for that new book mark. 

So what is the fix or work around for the lack of Custom Zoom?

The documents I build have a wide variety of zoom levels for documents that are varied in size, ie one size does not fit all.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem.

The answer is to not use "Bookmarks", but use "Destinations" instead.

Then you can zoom to an area on any page, save it as a name, and flick between saved destinations ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do both. A bookmark can point to a Named Destination, and users are more inclined to use Bookmarks than Named Dests. I'm not even sure you can see the list of Named Dests in Reader, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bookmarks cant save a zoomed view, whereas Destinations can.

To Bookmark a Destination seems like extra work?

Wouldn't that mean you have to first create the destination and then bookmark that ??

Easier to just create the destination at your preferred Zoom level and use that.

I also like how Destinations automatically sort the list ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually quite an annoying process to set a bookmark (or any link, for that matter) to point to a Named Destination... You have to create a "Go to a page view" action, then edit it and change it from Use Page Number to Use Named Destination, and then select the specific one you want to point to from the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main use of Acrobat is to mark-up Architectural drawings.

I need to zoom in on a construction detail, then go to Floor plan views quickly.

Bookmarks cant save a different zoom level for each view, whereas Destinations can.

I easily setup a destination, just zoom in at say 600% on a detail, go to the L/H menu select Destinations, Create New button, Name it ... done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A NamedDest saves the exact view settings you currently use when you create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly Try67,

and that's what "Chaffer-New_User" and "Book Builder" were trying to do in their posts on this topic.

They were trying to get their bookmark to open at the same zoom level they saved it at ..

Cant be done .. they have to use Named Destinations ...

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be honest I dont use named destinations, I only use bookmarks and my custom zoom bookmarks work.  The key is not using 'inherit zoom'.

open the bookmarks pane there is an options drop down menu

go to 'Set Default Bookmark Zoom Level'

Select 'Current Page'

Give this a try, its been months since I have had to worry about it and I think this is the only setting that needs to be adjusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines