• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

build an index for searching collection of pdfs

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2021 version is supposed to be distributed in 24 hours. Need help asap!!!

For years I have created a handbook book that looks like this:folder shot.PNG

When I was creating this, I would build an index for the chapters. After doing so, the first time I hit search (binoculars) on one of the chapters, I would get this:trying to load with circle.png

After that, whenever I would search, it would automatically search using the index:search index.PNG

And I would get search results like this:

search results.PNGBut with the current arcrobat dc, I cannot get this result. The index is built, but never loads.

I found this on this support page:

Note:

With December 2018 release of Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC, the embedded index in the PDF is no longer used for searching. If you still want to enable the index for searching, see How to enable the embedded index in a PDF for searching.

Which took me to these instructions:

To enable the use of embedded index to search PDFs, you have to create a registry key (Windows), or create an entry in the FeatureLockdown.plist file (macOS) as mentioned below.

Create a registry key on Windows
  • Quit Acrobat DC/Acrobat Reader DC application if it's already running.

• In Start > Search, type RegEdit and press Enter. The Registry Editor is displayed.

• Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockDown.

For example, the path for Acrobat DC is LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\FeatureLockDown.

• Create the following key:

Key: bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex

Data type: REG_DWORD

Default Value: 0

Note:

The embedded index is not used while searching when the default value of the key is  0.

To enable use of embedded index, set the value of the key to 1.

I followed them to the best of my ability, but nothing changed.

I even saw these posts [https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/36779125-unable-... and tried it:

No Thanks commented  ·  October 19, 2020 6:37 PM  ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Windows I think Adobe explained it wrong. You don't create a registry "key" - that doesn't work. What works is creating in FeatureLockDown a new DWORD named bToggleUseEmbeddedIndex and changing the value to 1.

• Close Registry Editor.

This didn't work either.

Help!

Susan 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: You doesn't use a embedded index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but in the past I have build an index to get the results shown in the pictures. I do not understand your reply. How do I get it to search the associated index?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can embed the index in a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're following instructions for an embedded index. But they are not appropriate instructions because we can see it is NOT an embedded index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show me step by step how to get to this result shown in the intial post [I tried to copy the picture again but it won't paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I can't, but I'm trying to pull you away from endless following of instructions that just aren't relevant to your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What happens when you use the index?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines