• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calcuation script - "the value entered does not match the format of the field.

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following fields in my document:

Total Revenue - this is manually entered field

Gross Profit - this has a calulation in it

Actual Gross Profit %

Originally I had the calculation in Acutal Gross Profit %  as Gross Profit/Total Revenue and I was getting message "the value entered does not match the format of the field".  From searching around online I know that this happens when Total Revenue field is blank and a formula can't be used when divisible by zero.  I've tried different scripts suggested but I'm having a hard time having it work with my specific scenario.  Can anyone help?  Java script is way beyond my knowlege base so if someone can provide a script for me that I cna use that would be helpful.  

I was able to get rid of the message with the following code, but now calculation doesn't work.

var numerator = +getField("Gross_Profit").value;

var denominator = +getField("Total_Revenue").value;

if (denominator !== 0) {

event.value = numerator / denominator;

} else {

event.value = "";

}

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message that you were getting is due to textfield objects formatted different from each other.

For example, if you had calculations in another field with a field formatted as a percentage number,  that field will expect the text string value to be the same.

Before you experiment with a JavaScript script, you should check that the fields with dependent calculations have the same formatting that

it expects.

The script that you say resolved the issue has nothing to do with anything that doesn't work.

The script works, the issue is if you expect a result to be displayed as 25% or 0.25?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I require the result to be a %

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Javascript console for errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in my case I decided to not use the script, instead I decided to use Simplified field notation in the "Actual_Gross_Profit" field.

The simplified field notation in my example is :

Gross_Profit / Total_Revenue

And both of those textfields has no formatting.

In the Format tab, however, I selected Percentage from the dropdown menu with 0 decimal places.

This will display the result of that divisio. with a string value of 25% if, for example, the user inputs 25 in the Gross_Profit field and 100 in the "Total_Revenue" field.

If, on the other hand, you still want to use the script,  this is how I would do it as a custom calculation script instead of a simplified field notation:

var numerator = +getField("Gross_Profit").value;

var denominator = +getField("Total_Revenue").value;

if (denominator !== 0) {

event.value = util.printf("%d", Math.ceil((numerator /100) / (denominator/100)*100))+"%";

} else {

event.value = "";

}

There are many ways of achieving this with JavaScript, so in my case this is what delivered the results that I was looking for based on your inquiry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I appreciate your time and assistance.  It's just not working for me.  Like I said, over my head so tough for me to figure out.  Seems like such a simple equation.  Obviously more to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and sorry if my guidance just didn't work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share the form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines