Cambria Font display issue

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that was converted to PDF from an online platform we use for document management.  The PDF generated has multiple fonts being used.  For some reason, the headers display like gibberish.  They're using Cambria as a font.  When I click on the tool Edit PDF and highlight the gibberish, I noticed that it reports the line as Cambria.  If I change the font to something else, the text corrects itself and displays properly.  I can then change it back to Cambria and it displays properly at that point.  I'm not sure why on initial launch of the file all the text set to Cambria displays gibberish until I manually change it to something and then back again.  Is there a way to reapply the fonts throughout the whole document so I don't have to manually search for all the gibberish lines one at a time?

 

See attachment for example.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, How to

Views

85

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is used according to the properties box (font tab)? It looks like only the space character is gibberish...

Regards, Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I attached a screenshot of the properties for two separate files.  The left side is the source file that was uploaded to the data management system.  The right side is the fonts in the recently exported copy (the export from the file management system converts the file in to a PDF by design).  As you can see, the export does not embed the fonts, which is why I assume it breaks the file but the fonts in the list all exist in the Windowds Font folder.  So I'm not sure why it breaks the PDF on initial launch.  

 

I tried to change the option in preferences to NOT use local fonts and I get an error saying that it can't find or create the Cambria font and it displays a bunch of dots wherever that font was used in the PDF.  I then tried to put the option back on to use local fonts and I no longer get the error about missing fonts but it displays incorrectly again like the screenshot in my last post.  If it can't find the font, why does the issue fix itself if I change the font and then change it back using the "Edit PDF" tool in Acrobat?

 

As a sidenote, I tried this file on several workstations (all Windows 10) and it's broken on all of them but if I login to a server which is running a different OS (Windows Server 2016 or something like that I can't remember exactly), the file works as intended.  Keep in mind that the server only has Acrobat Pro X installed but I installed Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website and it still displays correctly on the server.  I installed Acrobat Reader on the workstation as well but it's still broken on the workstation which has Acrobat DC as well.  This is why I think it's an OS issue or conflict between the Acrobat apps and the OS/Fonts.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines