• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a fillable form that has links to another fillable form? How?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a "main form" and on the main form have buttons that link to additional forms. So far my efforts haven't worked.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you tried? What were the results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a sample "main" form - and three supplementary forms - in Illustrator, saved as a PDF. In Adobe Acrobat DC I opened the main form, turned it into a fillable form, and added the three required links. Then I sent it to myself and a friend to test and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file with us?

How did you create the links?

Where did you open the file when you tested it?

What does "it didn't work" mean, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the links by using the Adobe Acrobat tool "Edit PDF" - I used the Link tool to "add/edit web or document link". I opened the file on my computer, and when I clicked on the link it didn't take me to the supplementary form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you did, exactly, but there are no links in this file. You need to use the Add Link tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When share the form you must also share the linked forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Of course, that makes sense. Here are the forms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you should use a button field, not a text field.

Second, the links you created are absolute, not relative. Where the files located in different drives when you created the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, awesome - I will definitely change those to button fields when I prepare the actual form. The "supplementary" files were located either on my desktop or in my downloads folder. 

I'm thinking that when my client houses them on their website, she can provide me with a link and then I can add those links to the main form. It's a ton of work - especially if this theory doesn't pan out - but at least my client will have professional, fillable forms, something she didn't have before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are working with your old form. It uses relative links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So by "relative" links - this means they don't have to "live" anywhere? As in on a website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just means that the path is to a local file, but it's not a complete file path (like C:\Temp\FormA.pdf"), but one that's relative to the current location of the main file (like "../FormA.pdf"). That means that as long as the two files are in the same relative location to each other, the link will work, no matter where they are placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are working when all files are in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay - this is good news - I'm forging ahead as planned then! The main form is done - attached. I will create the supplementary forms to be visually similar and use the BUTTON fields when I link them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines