Highlighted

Can no longer Print to PDF from Illustrator

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exhausted all troubleshooting methods I can think of and have searched for to no avail. Hopefully someone can shed light on my issue as it is workflow breaking and needs to be remedied quickly.

I'm a dept of 2 people. Myself and my Production Artist (PA). Part of our normal workflow is to routinely print from Illustrator to PDF. File>Print>Printer: Adobe PDF, PPD: Default (Adobe PDF). Normaly when we do this we click the 'Print' button at the bottom of the screen and then Acrobat does it's thing. ~2-10 seconds later we're viewing the result in Acrobat which we then print out. The issue is my PA's computer has recently decided it doesn't want to do that anymore and would rather print to the printer queue instead, erroring out.

System specs:

• Win 10 ~updated as of 11-10-20 
  • Adobe CC ~All programs updated as of 11-10-20

We have installed/reinstalled/rebooted at every step Acrobat as well as removed/reboot/install the Adobe PDF printer.

Double-checked that all configurations and settings matched my setup (which is essentially the same)

Even ran A register cleaner as a last ditch effort to get it working.

Here's the kicker: If left to it's own devices, it start working as it should liek nothing out of the ordinary. However it soon goes back to not woking without rhyme or reason.

My brain is melting from trying to figure out why nothing I've tried is working, or why it sometimes works and then decides not to.

Please Help.

I can send more spec info if needed. This is an essential part of our workflow and is severly limiting our production. I've even gone so far as to try to share my version in an effort to at least get a workaround (it just sat there like it was doing it, but not doing anything at all).

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can no longer Print to PDF from Illustrator

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exhausted all troubleshooting methods I can think of and have searched for to no avail. Hopefully someone can shed light on my issue as it is workflow breaking and needs to be remedied quickly.

I'm a dept of 2 people. Myself and my Production Artist (PA). Part of our normal workflow is to routinely print from Illustrator to PDF. File>Print>Printer: Adobe PDF, PPD: Default (Adobe PDF). Normaly when we do this we click the 'Print' button at the bottom of the screen and then Acrobat does it's thing. ~2-10 seconds later we're viewing the result in Acrobat which we then print out. The issue is my PA's computer has recently decided it doesn't want to do that anymore and would rather print to the printer queue instead, erroring out.

System specs:

• Win 10 ~updated as of 11-10-20 
  • Adobe CC ~All programs updated as of 11-10-20

We have installed/reinstalled/rebooted at every step Acrobat as well as removed/reboot/install the Adobe PDF printer.

Double-checked that all configurations and settings matched my setup (which is essentially the same)

Even ran A register cleaner as a last ditch effort to get it working.

Here's the kicker: If left to it's own devices, it start working as it should liek nothing out of the ordinary. However it soon goes back to not woking without rhyme or reason.

My brain is melting from trying to figure out why nothing I've tried is working, or why it sometimes works and then decides not to.

Please Help.

I can send more spec info if needed. This is an essential part of our workflow and is severly limiting our production. I've even gone so far as to try to share my version in an effort to at least get a workaround (it just sat there like it was doing it, but not doing anything at all).

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in Illustrator, why do you not just "Save as..." to PDF?

The code for PDFs from Illustrator are just fine!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SageofthePit ,

I just tried the workflow you outlined with a simple Adobe Illustrator file under Windows 10 with the newest updated versions of both Illustrator and Acrobat Pro DC. It worked without a problem.

You indicated that the problem occurs with your production artist's computer. Does this happen on any other computer you have (reading into your post, I assumed you both have systems but it only occurs on the PA's computer)?

Two possibilities come to mind:

(1)    The AdobePDF PostScript printer driver instance is configured to “print to file” as opposed to the Adobe PDF printer port.

(2)    The Adobe PDF printer port is misconfigured.

That having been said, Adobe strongly recommends that you absolutely not create PDF from Illustrator via printing PostScript and distilling PostScript into PDF. That is a highly deprecated 1990's style workflow that generally produces much lower quality PDF than saving a copy of the Illustrator file to PDF, preferably specifying the PDF/X-4 options if ultimately your PDF file is destined for print. This method preserves ICC color management, live transparency, etc.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you for that information Dov. I was aware that opening up PDFs with Illustrator, making changes, and then saving was a big no-no but I was unaware that creating PDFs from Illustrator (via "Save as...") was not recommended. Does the AI team know this? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gary_sc ,

I did not say that creating PDFs from Illustrator (via “Save as...”) was not recommended at all; that is the recommended workflow. I mentioned saving a copy since otherwise, you would lose the changes in the original .ai file. In terms of not printing to get a PDF file, I am sure the Adobe Illustrator team knows this quite well.

Note that we don't block printing to the AdobePDF PostScript printer driver instance because it is sometimes useful for debugging direct print to PostScript printers from Illustrator (although quite frankly, I don't recommend any direct printing from Illustrator – better to save PDF/X-4 from Illustrator, view the result in Acrobat, and print from Acrobat – Acrobat has far more reliable and functional printing).

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
gary_sc LATEST
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov for the full breakdown in these details. And extra thanks for taking the time to explain the explanation. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply!

You are correct in that it only happens on my PA's computer. How would I go about reconfiguring the port/drivers?

We need to print to pdf as we are a screenprinting company and I use this to print out each 'plate' of a color separation to help our press operators in the setup of the job as well as our screen dept to quickly visualize what the intended output should resemble. If there is a better way to achieve this, I am all ears.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0