Highlighted

Can't Get Embedded PDF To Open as Two-Up (Facing)

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a magazine writer and photographer and I upload pdfs of my articles that my publisher sends me to my website (hosted on Squarespace). Prior to uploading, I go into File/Properties/Initital View and select Two-up (Facing). Then I save the file. Then I upload. 100% of the time, the uploaded file opens as one-up.  This has been driving me crazy for years! My work-around is to import the pdf into Photoshop, convert each page to a jpg, then create the two-up facing pages myelf. Then I combine those pages into a whole new pdf. 

There has to be a simpler way! Help!

And thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't Get Embedded PDF To Open as Two-Up (Facing)

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a magazine writer and photographer and I upload pdfs of my articles that my publisher sends me to my website (hosted on Squarespace). Prior to uploading, I go into File/Properties/Initital View and select Two-up (Facing). Then I save the file. Then I upload. 100% of the time, the uploaded file opens as one-up.  This has been driving me crazy for years! My work-around is to import the pdf into Photoshop, convert each page to a jpg, then create the two-up facing pages myelf. Then I combine those pages into a whole new pdf. 

There has to be a simpler way! Help!

And thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you opening the file in that the Initial View isn't working?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I don't understand your question. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You state "Then I upload. 100% of the time, the uploaded file opens as one-up. " Where are you uploading to and what application are you viewing the PDF in?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's better! Thanks. As I said in my original post, I'm uploading to my website which is hosted by Squarespace. I'm viewing the uploaded PDF in Safari via clicking a link on one of my web pages. I've been emailing Squarespace support and they said that the issue isn't on their end. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago, whenever you saw a PDF on a web site, it was Acrobat Reader doing the work. Those days are long gone. In Safari, it's Apple's PDF plug-in. In Chrome, it's Google's PDF plug-in. In Microsoft Edge, it's Microsoft's PDF plug-in. Each one with it's own design, bugs, and mission.

So nothing you can do if these plug-ins don't want to show pages 2-up. Nothing Adobe can do either, since they were locked out of the browser world. And, to be honest, I don't think this ever was intended to work for browser embedding even by Adobe. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - Most PDF viewers don't respect the Initial View settings. My suggestion to you is rather than convert to images in PhotoShop, you can create "spreads" from your original PDF using a pretty simple Acrobat Custom Command.

Were you looking for 2-up with a cover page or just 2 up?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
paulpap LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just two-up (Facing).

Take a look at my website:

www.tripwriters.net

When you get there, click on the photo. That'll take you to the PDF (made of JPGs which were made from the original PDF pages) that I just did yesterday. And that's what I'd love to be able to to without the huge pain in the butt of making each page manually in photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0